internet VERY slow. Fresh install

I installed opensuse about 2 hours ago, and other than adjusting gnome theme and installing basic software (Atom, Visual Studio Code, Kodi, etc) I haven’t touched anything else. I thought things were moving slowly but I just tested my internet speed with googles speed test. I usually get 120mbps - 140mbps. For some reason I seem to get 1.5mbps - 10mbps. Any ideas? I have a MSI Gaming M3 Motherboard. I am using the Killer LAN port. I haven’t installed any drivers on my own. After opensuse tumbleweed installed. It seemed to work fine right out of the box and I am not that experienced with linux so I didn’t want to fix something that I didn’t notice as broken. Any ideas?

Here is a screenshot from Yast http://i.imgur.com/Du9DzL8.png

Have you checked your ethernet cabling?

To start with get the interface name via

ip link

and check link status reported with (eg for eth0)

/sbin/ethtool eth0

I’m not familar with ‘Killer LAN port’ hardware so needed to google first. Anyway, in language that Linux-types can understand please run

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --netcard

and post the output here. Copy/paste and enclose within code tags. (Refer to the ‘#’ button in the editor.)

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --netcard
08: PCI 700.0: 0200 Ethernet controller                         
  [Created at pci.378]
  Unique ID: QgzS.mgJfkk06CSB
  Parent ID: eEx1.OaCZ4OqGk79
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.3/0000:07:00.0
  SysFS BusID: 0000:07:00.0
  Hardware Class: network
  Model: "Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
  Vendor: pci 0x1969 "Qualcomm Atheros"
  Device: pci 0xe0a1 "Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
  SubVendor: pci 0x1462 "Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI]"
  SubDevice: pci 0x7978 
  Revision: 0x10
  Driver: "alx"
  Driver Modules: "alx"
  Device File: enp7s0
  Memory Range: 0xdf100000-0xdf13ffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  I/O Ports: 0xd000-0xd07f (rw)
  IRQ: 19 (no events)
  HW Address: 4c:cc:6a:4e:dd:c4
  Permanent HW Address: 4c:cc:6a:4e:dd:c4
  Link detected: yes
  Module Alias: "pci:v00001969d0000E0A1sv00001462sd00007978bc02sc00i00"
  Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: alx is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe alx"
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #26 (PCI bridge)

Don’t forget…

/sbin/ethtool enp7s0

I installed opensuse about 2 hours ago, and other than adjusting gnome theme and installing basic software (Atom, Visual Studio Code, Kodi, etc) I haven’t touched anything else. I thought things were moving slowly but I just tested my internet speed with googles speed test. I usually get 120mbps - 140mbps. For some reason I seem to get 1.5mbps - 10mbps. Any ideas?

Assuming your LAN is using gigabit capable ports and another machine (with gigabit NIC)is available, are you able to conduct a speed test using iperf of netcat? Such a LAN based test would be more representative than an internet-based speed test.

http://deice.daug.net/netcat_speed.html