intermitant kernel panic with 12.2

I got a new laptop and installed suse-12.2 (64 bit) because it has always made it easy to partition a new machine.
At first I used a network install, several times, but the last install was from a dvd. The system installs
with no problems, and allowed me to use chroot to install another system. Then I had problems re-booting
suse-12.2, most times I would get a kernel panic at different times in the boot cycle. I recently discovered
that occasionally the system does come up. I’m using grub and not grub2 because I had problems
with grub2. I have re-installed and formatted the partition since switching to grub. Since the system
dies booting there are no logs to look at. i still have Windows-7 and two other Linux systems on
the machine that work fine. First time I have had a problem like this with SUSE over the years.
I have installed SUSE on this machine at least 5 times.
Any ideas what to look at?

Maybe say something about the hardware??? Video card? drivers installed?

Did you do a media check of the DVD before the install?

don don # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
02:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (rev c4)
0c:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 07)

Yes I did check the media

Let me say that while I have not tried Grub Legacy with openSUSE 12.2 and have no reason to suspect its the root of your problem, delaying the switch to Grub 2 is just delaying the inevitable switch that will occur in the future and similar to the efforts of swimming upstream to continue the use of Grub Legacy. Further, if there were some kind of problem with Grub Legacy, not many would know about or report the issue and not sure of how an issue with it would get resolved. Consider that Grub Legacy as an application is no longer being maintained and if it actually had a problem with your hardware, there would be nothing that will be done due to that issue, should it exist.

Now, a kernel panic will stop your PC dead and may be indicated by a flashing keyboard light. In general, this is hardware related, but a corrupted install or bad disk partition might create the same problem. You must tell us all about your hardware, including CPU, type & speed, motherboard chipset, total & type of memory, video chipset and hard disk types & sizes, among other things, to see if anything pops out. Age of the PC and the last time it had a complete cleaning are also important to know.

Thank You,

Run a memory test for at LEAST 12 hours before trying anythiing else.

I have three other systems installed on this machine, two of them Linux systems. The idea that I have a
memory problem that only affects SUSE is ludicrous. The only thing I changed on the installation was to
use grub instead of grub2 and to install on sda6. Everything else was selected by SUSE. If you look at
the lspci I posted you can tell what kind of cpu I have, etc, etc

On 2012-11-27 01:16, gemini91 wrote:
>
> I have three other systems installed on this machine, two of them Linux
> systems. The idea that I have a
> memory problem that only affects SUSE is ludicrous. The only thing I
> changed on the installation was to
> use grub instead of grub2 and to install on sda6.

Check the disk, surface long test via smart tools.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Do consider that most people are not having this problem with openSUSE. The symptoms seem to indicate a hardware issue, based on your posts. Hardware works great until at a time and place of its own choosing, it fails. At least one of the suggestions you got was made by a kernel developer and expert on the subject. Last, we really want to help, so we need for you to follow our suggestions until some sort of resolution can be found. Since we are not working directly with the failing system, its harder to make judgments on what might be wrong.

Thank You,

Hi, I, too, sometimes have problems with intermittent kernel panics under 12.2 in a Laptop. You should try to hit “ESC” immediately after choosing the OS in Grub, so that you can see what happens in the terminal. You should then be able to see when/why the kernel panics. I’ve noticed on my machine, that it never seems to happen when I cold boot the machine (at least until now), only when I restart/reboot it. There is no apparent regularity that I can see. It doesn’t happen often enough for me to make it worthwhile checking for the reason. Lenwolf

gemini91 wrote:
> most times I would get a kernel panic at different times in
> the boot cycle.

> Since the system
> dies booting there are no logs to look at.

Please post the panic. If you can’t capture it, at least take a photo
and post that.

Hi,

it happened again, see here :

SUSE Paste

SUSE Paste

HTH

Lenwolf

Acer Aspire One (D250) with original hard drive replaced with Samsung 60Gb SSD

OpenSUSE 12.2 seems to be fine on initial install - 500 updates later including a new kernel/new GRUB I get a kernel panic and then on reboot a failure to see the SSD. (Repeatable)

An immediate attempt to reinstall fails to see the SSD. Leaving things fro a while enables a reinstall.

I have two other 12.2 installs: one on the 8Gb SSD AAO, one on an old (approx 10 yr) ASUS motherboard, AMD 3200XP, with new, similar 128GB Samsung SSD - both are fully updated and are fine.

The AMD system briefly exhibited the loss of access to the SSD after initial install/update - but a clean reinstall seemed to solve the problem.

I’m happy to (re) reinstall but don’t know whether to prevent kernel and/or GRUB upgrades.

Thoughts and observations gratefully received

Didn’t notice anywhere you might have described your multi-boot layout.

To minimize issues I’d highly recommend chainloading from Grub Classic which you like to A conventional openSUSE 12.2 which would use Grub2.

That said, I doubt choice of Grub likely is causing your kernel panics but maybe you did something else custom because of your use of Grub Classic.

Highly recommend just re-installing instead of further troubleshooting, and do it according to the chainloading sequence I described.

Also, if installing on an SSD, have researched those issues? Recommend educating yourself on how SSD works and maybe even looking at my SSD slide deck (url posted in several other SSD threads but I can re-post if you can’t find any of them).

Hth,
TSU

Thank you for replying.

The reason I didn’t mention multiboot is because I only use openSUSE.

That said, I doubt choice of Grub likely is causing your kernel panics but maybe you did something else custom because of your use of Grub Classic.

Actually, it turns out you are right. I used “update” option to bring it back to stock 12.2 and everything is fine.

I then updated to KDE SC 4.4.98 which unknown to me also gave me an update to udev from 182.something to 195.something and this gave rise to the problem

(kernel and GRUB were unchanged)

Curiously (as I posted before) both other systems are running 4.4.98 -

on this AAO (the old 8GB SSD device) I’m running standard kernel 3.4.11, GRUB 0.97.something and GRUB2 2.00-1.23.1 but for some reason updating KDE SC didn’t induce a udev update

Also, if installing on an SSD, have researched those issues? Recommend educating yourself on how SSD works and maybe even looking at my SSD slide deck (url posted in several other SSD threads but I can re-post if you can’t find any of them).

I’m not sure what you mean by educating. I have been using two SSDs without any problems - one for about 5 years (tho’ I modified scheduler to elevator=noop) I wasn’t looking for specific issues

found these articles

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives#Using_udev_for_one_device_or_HDD.2FSSD_mixed_environment
[all variants] Kernel Scheduler for SSD Units on AA1 (and others) [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums]([all variants] Kernel Scheduler for SSD Units on AA1 (and others) [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums)

which I haven’t read thoroughly yet but both are quite old

couldn’t find your SSD URL, grateful if you’d post here

Gerry

so, I’ve restored my newer AAO (with the Samsung 60GB SSD) - everything is working perfectly - for the record it’s running
standard kernel 3.4.6,
udev 182-4
grub 0.97-185
grub2 2.00-1.6.1
elevator=noop (via yast bootloader options)

If installing on an SSD, I highly recommend the slide deck from my presentation

https://sites.google.com/site/4techsecrets/slide-presentations-30min

Created Oct 2012, Linux stuff largely based on wiki.archlinux but that wiki has been augmented greatly since. Note that recent SSD can perform very differently from earlier SSD. Still if anyone does what I describe they should be happy with the result. Also, I haven’t posted my experience except on a mailing list but I found that certain system changes will not be properly written to disk if the system powers down too quickly.

So, I’m guessing but are you really multi-booting your OS from a single menu or are you swapping drives in and out?

TSU

Thank you for the link. The performance information is helpful.

I ran 12.2 update which updated the kernel and tweaked grub - luckily it left udev alone - I think I’m now in a position to file a bug.

So, I’m guessing but are you really multi-booting your OS from a single menu or are you swapping drives in and out?

I don’t understand what you mean here. I’m not swapping drives in and out, I’m using a single OS, openSUSE and I’m using GRUB.