Installing driver for nvidia 7100

just installed opensuse 11.1 kde 64 bit and I have a nvidia 7100 video. I’m trying to get into yast but I keep getting a message that it’s locked for some reason. I just would to get the driver installed so I can set it at 1440x900 resolution.

thanks

now I try to reboot and it says that the sound can’t work. what’s up with this 64 bit system?

I might just reinstall it again and see if that helps. I dont remember suse being so much of a problem to get basic things like video working.

for some reason opnsuse 11.1 can’t read my video card. I have a Biostar GF7100P-M7S board w/nvidia Geforce 7100 and Intel E5200 CPU

I installed all the drivers from the recommended one-click but after it installed the nvidia 6 or later series and I rebooted the screen goes black.

I don’t have those problems with Mint or Mandriva, how come openSuse can’t handle it?

any clues?

You probably hace to configure Xorg. In boot-menu on the options-line type ‘init 3’, and boot. You will have no graphics now. At login prompt log in as root, type ‘sax2 -r -m0=nvidia’. Choose ‘Change Configuration’, see that the card is recognized, same for monitor (if not recognized, pick LCD/VESA with appropriate resolution), check again, Save, Exit. Back at the prompt (#) type ‘init 5’ and the GUI will start.

> I don’t have those problems with Mint or Mandriva, how come openSuse
> can’t handle it?
>
> any clues?

were you running a 64 bit Mandriva and/or Mint kernel, and video drivers?

nom de plume