Installing Broadcom Issue on MacBook Pro 5.5

Hi,

i am really stuck installing the wlan-driver for my network card. I will explain in detail what i have done now and what the problem is.

My networkdevice is this one:

lspci | grep Broadcom
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)

lspci -nn | grep Broadcom 
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller **14e4:432b**] (rev 01)

My kernel is this one:

uname -r
3.4.11-2.16-default

So i have installed broadcom-wl and broadcom-wl-kmp-default which should do the job for my network controller (14e4:432b).

I reboot and i don’t have a wireless option in the network-applet. I learend that ssb should be blacklistet and should not run otherwise the broadcom drivers will not be able to run. So i did blacklist ssb.

cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf | grep ssb
blacklist ssb

Then i learned that the ohci_hcd module reloads ssb because it needs ssb.

lsmod | grep ssb
ssb                    66990  1 ohci_hcd
mmc_core              117686  1 ssb
pcmcia                 65856  1 ssb

But if i remove ohci_hcd all my usb device and keyboard and touchpad stop working.

In this thread if you read carefully someone mention the same problem(!!) but no solution is in the thread http://forums.opensuse.org/english/information-new-users/unreviewed-how-faq/446861-install-broadcom-drivers-packman.html

I could not find a real solution for my problem even if i am sure there must be people out there using openSUSE on a macbook pro 5.5.

I really want to give openSUSE a try and what i have seen until now is very nice, but wireless working is a must have for me…

Did you recreate initrd and reboot after that?

In this thread if you read carefully someone mention the same problem(!!) but no solution is in the thread http://forums.opensuse.org/english/information-new-users/unreviewed-how-faq/446861-install-broadcom-drivers-packman.html

In this thread it says that kernel-desktop worked and kernel-default not. You have kernel-default; did you try kernel-desktop?

I tried the kernel-desktop, but it didn’t change anything.

I did not recreate initrd, can you please give me a hint how to do this (i have never done this before)?

EDIT: With kernel desktop you’re talking about broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop? Or do you mean i should replace the kernel with the desktop version? If so, i don’t know hot to do this…

Ok i have made it. WLan is now working.

What i had finally todo to get it work:

I called “mkinitrd” and then “mkinitrd -R”. Then i rebooted. Now the usb devices and keyboard did not work, so i rebooted again and with the advanced suse boot options i booted the kernel which had “desktop” and “recovery” in the name. Then i was able to login. No ssb was running anymore. I then installed the broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop and removed the broadcom-wl-kmp-default. Afterwards i rebooted again with the recovery-desktop option and now it works.

Thank you so much. I had no idea that i have to do this mkinitrd … And it wasn’t mentioned in any thread i read.

Thanks!