Installation stops with a full green line

Hi,

I downloaded latest Tumbleweed iso and tried to install it on new HDD from DVD. I tried a normal install, but it stops with a green bar on the bottom of the screen. Esc gives the message ‘loading basic drivers’, Alt F4 gives info about the drives, Alt F3 about the system and it end with ‘insmod error:1’

I tried Safe mode, NO ACPI, legacy mode, UEFI, different kernel parameters:

• nomodeset
  • kernel parameters I use to boot current Tumbleweed installation (on old HDD): “amd_iommu=on iommu=pt”
    etc - nothing work.

What to do? Try other distro?

My hardware:

-Computer-
Processor : 8x AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor
Memory : 16345MB (4708MB used)

-BIOS-
Date : 02/26/2016
Vendor : American Megatrends Inc. (www.ami.com)
Version : FD

-Board-
Name : 970A-DS3P
Vendor : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. (www.gigabyte.com.tw)

-Display-
Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2

-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d
Audio Adapter : CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

-Input Devices-
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
Genius Wireless Device
Genius Wireless Device System Control
Genius Wireless Device Consumer Control
Genius Wireless Device
Genius Wireless Device
SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD
HDA ATI SB Front Mic
HDA ATI SB Rear Mic
HDA ATI SB Line
HDA ATI SB Line Out
SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD System Control
SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD Consumer Control
HDA ATI SB Front Headphone
UVC Camera (046d:0825)
HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm : 3=
HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm : 7=
HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm : 8=
HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm : 9=

-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD2001FFSX-6
ATA WDC WD101KFBX-68
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
ATA ST2000DM001-1CH1
TS-RDF8 CF Transcend
TS-RDF8 SD Transcend
TS-RDF8 MS Transcend

What happened with the installer recent time?! I was able to re-install Tumbleweed on the same hardware configuration (only new HDD added: ATA WDC WD101KFBX-68) few times successfully few months ago. Why it fails now?!

Try instead of all those other boot parameters, remove quiet and splash=silent, and add this one:

[plymouth=0](https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Linuxrc)

I’m going to hazard a wild guess that a new kernel might support slightly different drivers, but I’d be surprised that anyone might be affected by something like that.

Recommend…
Try again. Installs will often (well, not that often but a significant number of times) fail for unknown reasons.
Make sure the disk is “factory” – ie clean of all partitions. Any SSDs should also have thier traps cleared and be writable.

If repeated installs fail, then maybe try a LEAP? Is there a special reason why you’d want to install TW over LEAP?

If you feel the need to troubleshoot this (but as I suggested, consider the possibly more likely idea it’s a transient issue), the following describes how to recover logs from a failed install

https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=3673842

TSU

Yes, disk was factory. But it even does not start UI install to create or clean the disk. One it started but USB keyborad and mouse were not working. I installed Neon Linux there, installed successfully, started successfully but hangs after user login.

Will try Leap. In TW like newest soft, for example KDE, etc.

Same error on Leap. And can’t get the logs as CTRL-ALT-F2 does not work to reach a terminal, seems error happen before terminal started.

How to do that? Removing parameters available only in UEFI boot.

Will try now.

Problem was in USB drivers: unplugged Transcend card reader (TS-RDF8) during install - installed fine!

Interesting. I never would have guessed that.

Perhaps this will help other people who run into similar problems.

Glad you found your problem.
Yes, I’ve been very concerned for a very long time of our increasing dependence on USB… which unlike traditional serial ports which supported single devices, USB is pretty darn complex supporting numerous devices simultaneously through a single or few hubs (and you might have to actually open up the box to see what ports are connected to what hub), and teh possibility some devices can be configured as communications or storage devices but not both at the same time or guaranteed to be correct when needed.

I long for the old PS/2 keyboard connectors…

TSU