Installation questions

Hi,

I’m as, I’m writing this, installing OpenSuse 13.2 in to my laptop, but now few questions popped in to my mind.

1. Does installation (I’m using network installation mut I guess it doesn’t matter) automaticly detect if one got a SSD or HDD and add paramets which are good depending on type on /etc/fstab?

2. Does it really install propieraty drivers? My laptop got a Broadcom Wi-fi chip.

Thanks,

Tatu.

On 2015-03-03, tathhu <tathhu@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> I’m as, I’m writing this, installing OpenSuse 13.2 in to my laptop, but
> now few questions popped in to my mind.

In general, it’s better to ask questions before installation. I hope nevertheless the answers are helpful.

> 1) Does installation (I’m using network installation mut I guess it doesn’t matter) automaticly detect if one got a
> SSD or HDD and add paramets which are good depending on type on /etc/fstab?

The openSUSE installer is aware of all storage devices in /dev/ so long as your BIOS has the relevant SATA ports
enabled. I have no idea what you mean when you say `add paramets which are good depending on type on /etc/fstab’ but of
course the initial configuration of /etc/fstab is in general perfect for Linux-relevant partitions.

> 2) Does it really install propieraty drivers? My laptop got a Broadcom Wi-fi chip.

No. The installer doesn’t include proprietary drivers. However, there’s a very good chance that your wifi controller is
perfectly supported by the open source drivers that come with initial installation. I have no idea why you’d want the
proprietary wifi drivers anyway since in general they are written only for Windows unless you intend to use ndiswrapper.
Out of the box openSUSE installations do not come with proprietary drivers but it is very easy to add RPM repositories
which include proprietary drivers for Linux, but in general this is mainly for AMD and NVIDIA graphics support.

A note on SSD.

You should add some stuff to increase life of the device

Hers is a good place to start

https://sites.google.com/site/4techsecrets/slide-presentations-30min

Note that the BTRFS is slightly better aware of SSD then EXT4 so it really depends on the fs but in general this is the list of things need by SSD hardware read the man mount page for detail on each file system

The openSUSE installer is aware of all storage devices in /dev/ so long as your BIOS has the relevant SATA ports
enabled. I have no idea what you mean when you say `add paramets which are good depending on type on /etc/fstab’ but of
course the initial configuration of /etc/fstab is in general perfect for Linux-relevant partitions.

I know I’ve should ask before but I was sure that my questions aren’t killing my system if I ask them while I’m installing :stuck_out_tongue: I meant that does it adds things like “noatime” in to fstab, but I guess I forgot a word or two. Thanks!

No. The installer doesn’t include proprietary drivers. However, there’s a very good chance that your wifi controller is
perfectly supported by the open source drivers that come with initial installation. I have no idea why you’d want the
proprietary wifi drivers anyway since in general they are written only for Windows unless you intend to use ndiswrapper.
Out of the box openSUSE installations do not come with proprietary drivers but it is very easy to add RPM repositories
which include proprietary drivers for Linux, but in general this is mainly for AMD and NVIDIA graphics support.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I found that out while I had to reinstall because I messed up my partitioning and saw that I could edit what I’m installing…
I was asking because with other distros my wifi haven’t worked in e.g. ubuntu or fedora without them

Thanks to you too ](https://forums.opensuse.org/member.php/37208-gogalthorp) gogalthorp](https://forums.opensuse.org/member.php/37208-gogalthorp), I’ll check that out.