install

I started my install of Leap 42.3 from a USB Boot, Friday around 11am CST on a Dell laptop, about 3 years old, 4GB memory, I3 processor, 120GB SSD, it is now 12:30pm CST and it is only 54% done, is this normal? I only want to try the OS but since there was not option for a ‘live’ disc I am forced to install, but this IMHO is a bit much to wait over 24 hours to have a system install from a USB.

No, that isn’t normal - the installation process has gone awry somewhere. Was there any message displayed?

This guide may be worth reviewing…
https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/startup/html/book.opensuse.startup/cha.inst.html
In particular, it is possible to install with various display modes (in case it’s a graphics-related issue that’s the cause of the issue you describe)…

F3Video Mode Select various graphical display modes for the installation. By Default the video resolution is automatically determined using KMS (“Kernel Mode Setting”). If this setting does not work on your system, choose No KMS and, optionally, specify vga=ask on the boot command line to get prompted for the video resolution. Choose Text Mode if the graphical installation causes problems.

Since you mention that you only want to try the OS, GeckoLinux may be of interest to you. It provides and installable live DVD/USB image based on openSUSE…

GeckoLinux is a Linux spin based on the openSUSE distribution, with a focus on polish and out-of-the-box usability on the desktop. It is available in Static (based on openSUSE Leap) and Rolling (based on openSUSE Tumbleweed) editions.

Not at all
Check the .iso you downloaded for integrity
You didn’t mention how you wrote the image to the USB? Sometimes this process can be faulty (I actually had one just the other day. But ran the write again and it was fine).
As Deano mentioned, you can sometimes get an indication of the problem from the output of the install process.