Install to existing /home on RAID

I’m sure there is an easy answer to this but I can’t find it. I have a TW system with an SSD as the system disc and a pair of HDDs in RAID1 for /home. The SSD has just failed and I have replaced it. However when I start a new TW installation I do not have the option of mounting the RAID at /home unless I format it, which I do not want to do.

Do I have to allow the installer to create a /home partition on the system drive then switch it to the RAID (if so how?) or is there an easier way. I have done this type of installation several times previously and cannot recall having this problem; has something changed?

I would be very grateful for a pointer on this.

Hmmm, I re-installed TW several times in the past and only mounted the existing /home on a different HDD/SSD, but never on a RAID 1 I must confess.

Can you take a picture of the install process where you encounter the problem? It should not be necessary to format, but simply choose the HDD/SSD for /home…

Thanks for your help raspu. It was difficult to take a photo during installation, but the screen is exactly the same if I go into YaST Partitioner. Forgive me for being thick here, but I’m not sure how I post the screenshots. If I want to insert an image it asks me for the URL, which implies it has to be pasted somewhere on the net. So I’ll describe the screen:

In the Partitioner I select /dev/md/0 and go to Edit. My Formatting Options are: Format device/Do not format device. My Mounting Options are: Mount device (with selectable Mount Point)/Do not mount device.

If I select Do not format device, the Mounting Options go to Do not mount device and the rest are greyed out. The only way I can set the Mount Point is to select Format device - Catch 22. Exactly the same happens during installation.

Kind regards,
Rob

You can upload images to https://susepaste.org/
and use the URL here.

Well you do have to have a files system (thus formatted) to mount a File system :wink: You don’t mount a partition just the FS on the partition

Depends. If you formated /dev/md/0 or a partition on that device. Show us a screenshot of the partitioner with the RAID selected.

Thanks - done. SUSE Paste

Screenshot of Partitioner window: SUSE Paste

Kind regards,

Rob

I have just seen that the RAID currently consists of only one device. I don’t know what happened there, but that is obviously not right. Perhaps I should delete the RAID and re-add the devices.

Kind regards,
Rob

You should check that definitely, but you might destroy the data if you don’t handle it carefully. Check your mdadm status / log (if it’s a linux software RAID).

As you were, guys. I have just repeated the installation from scratch and this time it was OK. It seems for some reason the install program did not find the second RAID disc and I failed to notice. This is presumably why the program would not let me mount a RAID with a drive missing.

When I started again the install program found the drive and let me set the mount point to /home without formatting. The installation then went to plan exactly as it has done on previous occasions, so I am back up and running.

Thank you all for your input, which I appreciate very much.

Kind regards,
Rob

That is nice to hear. Congratulations with your installation. Enjoy openSUSE!

Yes,
It was essential that the installer had to detect the drive/RAID and mount it to be able to use it.

BTW -
Looks like you didn’t upload your screenshots to susepaste, you uploaded links pointing to files on your local machine.

Requirements for displaying an image in these Forums…

1. Upload your image to a service provider or “presence” on the Internet that is accessible to all Internet users like a pastebin, your personal cloud storage with the location made publicly accessible or an Internet “photo” service. Your personal machine does not qualify unless it is deployed as an Internet Server with its own resolvable Internet address. Internet addresses will generally start with “https://” while a personal path on your computer will be something like “file://”
  2. Copy the Internet address to your image
  3. In your Forum post, click the “Insert image” button.
  4. Paste your Internet address.
  5. Finish/Save/OK

TSU

Btw, add a line to your mdadm.conf like this:

MAILADDR pi@[10.11.12.13]

(this is for my local mail server, replace the brackets by the domain name for a non-local mail server) and your RAID will send you an email next time it degrades… very handy :wink: