Install is stuck or not? OpenSUSE 11.4 with GNOME

I am trying to install OpenSUSE with the 4.7GB install iso that I burned, everything worked fine and I am now in the “Perform Installation” part. It seems to be stuck at that, it says “Preparing disks…” and is at 0%. The mouse has the circle loading thing and its moving, I am unable to change the tabs from Slide SHow to Details and cant click Help. Should I abort and try again? Or does this normally take a long time. Been about 15 minutes.

Other Info
Windows 7 previously installed, trying to dualboot
Gigebyte Motherboard
500GB Sata Hard Drive
3GB RAM @ 800MHz
Intel Core 2 Duo Dual-Core processor @ 2.50 GHz

64bit version

I am trying to install OpenSUSE with the 4.7GB install iso that I burned, everything worked fine and I am now in the “Perform Installation” part. It seems to be stuck at that, it says “Preparing disks…” and is at 0%. The mouse has the circle loading thing and its moving, I am unable to change the tabs from Slide SHow to Details and cant click Help. Should I abort and try again? Or does this normally take a long time. Been about 15 minutes.

Other Info
Windows 7 previously installed, trying to dualboot
Gigebyte Motherboard
500GB Sata Hard Drive
3GB RAM @ 800MHz
Intel Core 2 Duo Dual-Core processor @ 2.50 GHz

64bit version

There is no good answer but it does sound as if the program has locked up trying to read something from somewhere. Hopefully, the problem is the disk you made and nothing else, but I don’t think waiting an hour would help you do any better than just pulling out the DVD and trying to restart with the power switch and get back with what happened after that.

Thank You,

After rebooting I figured out that the Windows 7 volume wasnt shrinking properly because it was corrupt. My Windows 7 installation has had problems ever since I uninstalled Ubuntu but Grub didn’t go away, causing problems. I will re-install Windows then install OpenSUSE and report back any problems I have encountered or if I succeeded. Thanks :slight_smile:

After rebooting I figured out that the Windows 7 volume wasnt shrinking properly because it was corrupt. My Windows 7 installation has had problems ever since I uninstalled Ubuntu but Grub didn’t go away, causing problems. I will re-install Windows then install OpenSUSE and report back any problems I have encountered or if I succeeded. Thanks :slight_smile:

After you reinstall Windows, make sure to install the most recent Service Pack as well, before you install openSUSE.

Thank You,

Alright. Another question, it the Gnome that comes with this GNOME 3? Or is it still 2?

On 2011-08-03 02:06, qasim196 wrote:

> After rebooting I figured out that the Windows 7 volume wasnt shrinking
> properly because it was corrupt.

You did not say you were shrinking a windows volume. That can be slow, and
pulling the plug corrupted it.

> I will re-install Windows then install OpenSUSE and
> report back any problems I have encountered or if I succeeded. Thanks :slight_smile:

Leave free space on disk for the linux install later. Much easier than
shrinking a disk.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Alright. Another question, it the Gnome that comes with this GNOME 3? Or is it still 2?

It will be version 2. GNOME 3 is expected with openSUSE 12.1 when it comes out later this year.

Thank You,

On 2011-08-03 02:36, qasim196 wrote:
>
> Alright. Another question, it the Gnome that comes with this GNOME 3? Or
> is it still 2?

With the 11.4 DVD or CD? 2, of course.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Hi
Gnome 3.0 info here http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GNOME_3.0

Or a straight install from the iso images here;
http://gnome3.org/tryit.html

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop
up 7:46, 3 users, load average: 0.26, 0.19, 0.14
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 280.13

On 2011-08-03 03:16, malcolmlewis wrote:

> Hi
> Gnome 3.0 info here http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GNOME_3.0

Oh, yes, but it is not the official 11.4 distribution release.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.