Initial "Login Window" not scaled correctly for 3.5k

Hello, I’m using Slowroll. I just installed it.

My display is 3.5k (3456x2160) so I scale my desktop somewhere between 200% and 225% usually.

Unfortunately the very first login screen stays at the default scaling regardless of what I do with “Display Configuration” in Plasma Settings. Therefore on this initial login screen all of the fonts are too small, the mouse cursor is too small, and the mouse tracks too slowly.

I have tried going to “Login Screen (SDDM)” in System Settings and choosing “Apply Plasma Settings” but this doesn’t work.

With Fedora Cinnamon I used something called “LightDM settings” and chose “High DPI” and changed mouse cursor size from 24 to 48 but I have no idea what to use here for OpenSUSE.

I notice that “Apply Plasma Settings” in the “Login Screen (SDDM)” section of System Settings seems to have made the mouse cursor the correct size and makes the mouse tracking speed correct.

The only remaining problem is that the graphics and fonts are all still too small on the login screen.

I created /etc/sddm.conf by piping the output of sddm --example-config into this file.

I commented everything out except for the headings for each section (e.g. “[X11]” , etc)… for both “[Wayland]” and “[X11]” I set “EnableHiDPi=true”…

This didn’t work… The graphics and fonts are still too small on this screen … See image below

In current TW is sddm-0.21.0-2.1, where /etc/sddm.conf.d/ exists. Its /usr/lib/sddm/sddm.conf.d/00-general already has EnableHiDPi=true in section [XDisplay]. If that’s not the current version in Slowroll, you could try being patient and waiting for it to show up in Slowroll. Or, try putting your config in /etc/sddm.conf.d/ instead of /etc/sddm.conf.

cf. 1089932 – sddm small login menu and fonts on 4K UHD laptop display

There is a file in /etc/sddm.conf.d called kde_settings.conf.

I tried editing this and putting “EnableHiDPi=true” under the “[X11]” heading but this did not work.

Thanks. I guess the updates from TW should show up in Slowroll within 6 weeks.

Try adding a file /etc/sddm.conf.d/wiking.conf with [XDisplay] section containing EnableHiDPi=true. The whole of /etc/ is at least in theory owned by the admin - you. Adding new files is definitely permitted. Whether a given file’s name actually matters depends on context. Usually in *.conf.d/ directories filenames are entirely free, but if an installation program or package management puts a file there, it’s subject to being altered other than by you, meaning something you change can get un-changed when updates are applied or software is added or removed.

I’ve no idea where term “3.5k” came from, but a 2160 vertical resolution constitutes 4k vertical, which suggests display density is exactly 4k equivalent, just with a narrower aspect ratio stemming from 3456 horizontally. It wouldn’t surprise me if SDDM hasn’t encountered 3456x2160 at the developer level and is consequently mishandled, or not handled, even though it is exactly 16:10, a common aspect ratio (e.g. 2560x1600; 1920x1200; 1280x800; 1680x1050).

This is the “cat” of what I did and it doesn’t seem to change anything. Still looks the same; way too tiny.

wiking@xps15:~> cat /etc/sddm.conf.d/wiking.conf
[XDisplay]
EnableHiDPi=true
wiking@xps15:~>

I see sddm 0.21.0-2.1 available in Slowroll 20240405 updates repo. When did you zypper dup last?

I see sddm 0.21.0-2.1 available in Slowroll 20240405 updates repo. When did you zypper dup last?

I just ran “sudo zypper dup,” after reading your message, and rebooted. It didn’t fix the login screen. The graphics are still way too small.

Problems reported here that are apparently bugs that need fixing generally don’t come to the attention of developers who might fix them until someone files a bug report. Do a bug search to see if you can find an existing report matching this problem. If you find a match, add your experience there. If you don’t, please create a new report.

For this issue, it may be more fruitful to first search for an existing bug upstream. If you find a match, you may find a workaround as well, and/or an ETA for a proper fix, and/or a request for more information, which you might be able to provide.

Other possible approaches:
1-switch SDDM to use a different theme. Those I have liked better than the default have in the past included elarun and maldives.
2-add to your /etc/sddm.conf.d/wiking.conf file, or replace its current content entirely with, the following:

[X11] 
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 192

If it already contains a [X11] line, don’t add another.

Try that:

erlangen:~ # cat /etc/sddm.conf
[General]
GreeterEnvironment=QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=2,QT_FONT_DPI=192
erlangen:~ # 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/SDDM#Enable_HiDPI

1 Like

This one worked. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.