I really really hate packagekitd

Literally 9 times out of ten that I want to install something I cannot because packagekitd is locked. In close to 15 years of using Linux, no other distribution has ever constantly prevented me from installing software so often! Command line or GUI, makes no difference… Kill the daemon and you have a few moments to do something or it restarts

How often does packagekitd really need to lock?

So a) can I safely disable packagekitd and if so how?
Better still, b) can I have packagekitd only do anything, say once every 12 hours?

:slight_smile: Just to make sure that I am not being grumpy about this!

On 11/01/2012 07:16 PM, solanum wrote:
>
> Literally 9 times out of ten that I want to install something I cannot
> because packagekitd is locked. In close to 15 years of using Linux, no
> other distribution has ever constantly prevented me from installing
> software so often! Command line or GUI, makes no difference… Kill the
> daemon and you have a few moments to do something or it restarts
>
> How often does packagekitd really need to lock?
>
> So a) can I safely disable packagekitd and if so how?
> Better still, b) can I have packagekitd only do anything, say once
> every 12 hours?
>
> :slight_smile: Just to make sure that I am not being grumpy about this!
>
>
I uninstalled my system-tray updater applet. No communication after that.


Regards
swerdna

I do not know about the quality of the searching functionality on these forums, but it should have given you more then one thread where people advise to uninstall Apper (and some even uninstalled PackageKit completely).

Well you got answer on whether you can uninstall or not the packagekit. But i really wanted to replay on your thread just to troll a little bit :).
You know what i hate even more then packagekit? When you trying to do something with zypper and it tells you that it can’t do it because of packagekit. And then zypper asks you if like to kill p-kit to go on with your command, and you saying “YES, please kill that packagekit” and it doesn’t!!! But instead zypper keeps asking you all the same question until you say “NO” and then zypper throws message at you that operation was stopped on users behalf!!! GRRRRR. Why ask me to kill packagekit if you can’t kill it???.. ok i stop trolling now.
Obviously usually for me it is a moment that i go “oh yeah, let’s remove that kit all together”, but it irritates me nevertheless. And even though i do remove packagekit, as many others do, i do think that it should not be removed. I’m running openSUSE on my laptop (desktop) so i do want to be reminded about security updates without me have to open console once a week and run zypper up, or add cron job or any script or subscribe to mailing lists, or anything of this kind. Just a notification in my systray, press - install updates - done, please go on with your daily work.
Ok enough of trolling…

yes, well that is exactly what I am referring too. Your peeves are precisely mine, no way is that a troll.

As to the other answers, thanks, but I am not an idiot I am aware I can uninstall it. I was wondering about disabling it without uninstall (ie temporarily), obviously I wasn’t clear enough.

Secondly, my stated preferred option is to have packagekitd do it’s thing less often. Surely there is a configuration file somewhere that I haven’t found?

What DE are you using? Check in its settings and set it never to notify about updates.

So a) can I safely disable packagekitd and if so how?

Probably - search for other threads and read about that.

Better still, b) can I have packagekitd only do anything, say once every 12 hours?

What DE are you using? Check in its settings and set it.

Some even use the provided settings to achieve the result. :wink:

Pointless rant, if you don’t say which DE and which openSUSE release? Just bite the bullet and tell us…

On 2012-11-01 12:26, solanum wrote:
> Secondly, my stated preferred option is to have packagekitd do it’s
> thing less often. Surely there is a configuration file somewhere that I
> haven’t found?

If you use KDE, yes, there is a configuration click.

Temporarily, you can simply rename the application that pops the applet.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

I set “apper” to not automatically start (in KDE). That’s at “Configure Desktop” …> “Startup and Shutdown” → “Service Manager”

That avoids the lockout problem. But it does mean that I have to occasionally do a manual check for updates.

On 11/01/2012 12:26 PM, solanum wrote:
> I was wondering about disabling it without uninstall (ie
> temporarily), obviously I wasn’t clear enough.

right click in its icon in the tray and select disable ??

that worked on my KDE, but you didn’t say what DE is in use by “I am
not an idiot”…


dd

Depends how you install eg. from livecd, one of two ways gives “System Settings” > etc…

And the icon is only in the tray when updates are available [on my default 12.2 KDE]. :slight_smile:

Except as noted elsewhere, the icon isn’t always there…

However, I have found it in the Service Manager, where Apper can be disabled (temporarily or permanently), so thanks to the person who suggested that. Hopefully, packagekitd is only locking because of apper and isn’t doing it of its own accord…? What happens if packagekitd is locked when you disable it in the service manager… hopefully it doesn’t stay locked and it stops immediately?

But I take it from the other replies that there is no way of configuring it rather than disabling it then?

For the record, searching the forum here brought up several messages about uninstalling everything and a lot of ranting - going through it again I did find some useful information several pages down a recent thread, but still nothing about configuring Apper (which I now see is the problem as it is calling packagekitd). Also openSUSE 12.2 64 bit stock KDE.

Oh for the days when everything a configuration file you could edit… e.g. .apper : update_interval=43200

You configure apper in in kde’s settings (System Settings / Configure Desktop) > Software Management. The choice of update frequency is usually in a dropdown list.

Hello, new user here.
I just installed OpenSUSE 12.2 from the KDE 64bit cd iso.
On any Linux I usually remove any unwanted apps before doing an update to avoid downloading unnecessary amounts of unwanted files.

After first boot into new system & before doing any system updates I try to remove Firefox : I get waiting for process to finish & cannot proceed because packagekti is running messages from Yast2 & Apper gui.

I drop to a command line & ask zypper to rm firefox but it wants to remove half the system. WTF??
Also I get messages about locked etc. Packagekit once again getting in the way.

After about an hour of fighting I give up & click the apper updater in the task bar, it sits there with a back and forth animation doing…?? nothing??
Eventually I click update and wait more… more… What is it doing?? I see nothing happening.

I decide to leave it open and go away to do something productive.
When I return I see apper is … gone… wtf?
When I check I see that the system has indeed been finally updated. <sigh…>

I try again to use Yast2 to perform some simple add/removes of applications and run into this ‘packagekit is running ask it to stop?’ nonsense (of course asking it to stop does nothing).
I assume packagekit is running a deamon so i try to use systemd to stop it but come up dry… there is no daemon to stop of that name. WTF??
I finally open a terminal and killall packagekit 9… at last! I can finally do something with my packagemanager…

I configured Apper checking to ‘never’.
Still same problems.

I go to another machine and install the 32bit version from OpenSUSE KDE cd iso.
Exactly the same experience.

This way WAY suboptimal experience for a new user.

I know from experience on Fedora systems that packagekit is a big pile of dung so I’m deciding to keep it simple & use zypper/Yast2.

SO now I go on more time wasting journey through Googling and forum searching try to find out how to kill packagekit with a stake through the heart & excise it from all my OpenSUSE installations permanently. Also get rid of Apper because it is uneeded duplication.

Guy’s reporting its all fine and no problems, you must be very blessed to have not seen this or you’re not telling the truth. Hmm?
So far I like what of see of OpenSUSE otherwise.

Authoritative advice/corrections is very welcome.
Flames and vague opinions not needed thanks.

Chris

On 2012-11-02 01:46, chris2kari wrote:
> Authoritative advice/corrections is very welcome.
> Flames and vague opinions not needed thanks.

Duplicate post.

Just to mention that no one here is authoritative, we are just a bunch
of users helping other users.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

@chris2kari,

If you have a question of your own, please start a thread of your own. Trying to hang on to someone else’s thread is inproductive to both questions. The original thread will be poluted. And your own question will not come to the forefront in the list of new threads with it’s own telling title ad thus, most likely, will not be seen by many here.

I see this is your second try to post the same question hidden deep inside another thread. The result will be insatisfactory to you again I am afraid.

And before you do so, please read @robin_listas advice and formulate your question in a way that encourages your fellow users to join you in trying to resolve your problem or to answer your question.

Hi, thanks for that, but I don’t see any settings… it starts Apper and you can look at installed/available software or run the updates (plus there are icons for software groups). Maybe I am an idiot afterall, but where can you alter the frequency of checks?

Sorry, got it! That is seriously well hidden. However, it was already set to daily and packagekitd is blocking nearly all the time, so there is obviously some problem…

Is there anything else other than apper that could be polling packagekitd?