Huawei usb modem not reconnecting in NetworkManager

I am running OpenSUSE 11.4 on an HP 625 laptop and uses a Huawei EC1260 USB modem to connect to the internet. The configuration on NetworkManager worked prefect and the there is no problem connecting. The problem is when I disconnect the modem manually, I am unable to reconnect it via NetworkManager. I have to physically unplug the modem and insert it again, then only I can connect to the internet again. What could be the problem?

I’ve experienced the same behaviour in the past (circa 10.3/11.0) with E160 and E220 Huawei USB mobile broadband modems. The behaviour seems to relate to network manager somehow. I’m guessing it doesn’t properly initialise the modem correctly between activations. I found that kppp and wvdial could still dial out in these situations. Thankfully, my current laptop has an internal USB HP modem deivce, which doesn’t behave like this, so its hardware specific.

Are you using the Gnome or KDE desktop environment? (Their respective network management tools can behave differently).

Anyway, I suggest you file a bug report on this if it concerns you:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/index.cgi

Thanks for the quick response. I am using the KDE desktop, I will install the Gnome desktop and see if it makes a difference. Meanwhile I will file a bug report as you has suggested.

Let us know how you get on :slight_smile: