HP Pavilion g7 Laptop

Hello every one I have HP Pavilion g7 core i5 with 2.4GHz CPU
and I’ve recently installed the openSUSE 12.3 KDE Desktop
the openSUSE recognizing 2 CPU’s while the Windows7 which I have also in the same laptop recognizing 4 CPU’s
I was wondering if that a problem and it’s making my machine running below it’s full capabilities
here are some info about my CPU

hwinfo --cpu
01: None 00.0: 10103 CPU                                        
  [Created at cpu.374]
  Unique ID: rdCR.j8NaKXDZtZ6
  Hardware Class: cpu
  Arch: X86-64
  Vendor: "GenuineIntel"
  Model: 6.42.7 "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz"
  Features: fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,pge,mca,cmov,pat,pse36,clflush,dts,acpi,mmx,fxsr,sse,sse2,ss,ht,tm,pbe,syscall,nx,rdtscp,lm,constant_tsc,arch_perfmon,pebs,bts,rep_good,nopl,xtopology,nonstop_tsc,aperfmperf,eagerfpu,pni,pclmulqdq,dtes64,monitor,ds_cpl,vmx,est,tm2,ssse3,cx16,xtpr,pdcm,pcid,sse4_1,sse4_2,x2apic,popcnt,tsc_deadline_timer,aes,xsave,avx,lahf_lm,ida,arat,epb,xsaveopt,pln,pts,dtherm,tpr_shadow,vnmi,flexpriority,ept,vpid
  Clock: 2394 MHz
  BogoMips: 4789.07
  Cache: 3072 kb
  Units/Processor: 16
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

02: None 01.0: 10103 CPU
  [Created at cpu.374]
  Unique ID: wkFv.j8NaKXDZtZ6
  Hardware Class: cpu
  Arch: X86-64
  Vendor: "GenuineIntel"
  Model: 6.42.7 "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz"
  Features: fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,pge,mca,cmov,pat,pse36,clflush,dts,acpi,mmx,fxsr,sse,sse2,ss,ht,tm,pbe,syscall,nx,rdtscp,lm,constant_tsc,arch_perfmon,pebs,bts,rep_good,nopl,xtopology,nonstop_tsc,aperfmperf,eagerfpu,pni,pclmulqdq,dtes64,monitor,ds_cpl,vmx,est,tm2,ssse3,cx16,xtpr,pdcm,pcid,sse4_1,sse4_2,x2apic,popcnt,tsc_deadline_timer,aes,xsave,avx,lahf_lm,ida,arat,epb,xsaveopt,pln,pts,dtherm,tpr_shadow,vnmi,flexpriority,ept,vpid
  Clock: 2394 MHz
  BogoMips: 4789.07
  Cache: 3072 kb
  Units/Processor: 16
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

thank you all

What do you see in kinfocentre

although I’m not sure what I’m looking for in the KInfocenter but in the Interrupts page it’s showing only CPU0 and CPU1

The specs look good
But I would expect it to show more than the 2 listed
Perhaps wait for other to offer comments

your cpu only has 2 cores. what you’re seeing in windows device mangler or task manager (or whatever you’re looking at) is the 2 cores and the 2 corresponding hyper threading (virtual cores)

Hello Tyler
but if my CPU was 2 core as you said, then why it was mentioned as a core i5 I thought the i5 refer to more cores than 2 which is usually refer at it as a dual core
are you saying that the i3 or i5 or i7 are not relevant to the real number of cores?
if it so… thank you for explaining that

Intel Core - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

while the i5 and i7 desktop parts tend to be quad cores (or greater), the parts used in the mobile and embedded space are usually toned down because of thermal considerations of operating in a restricted enclosure … so what I’m saying is that the devil is in the details.

in addition to caf’s link, you can find even more juicy overview specs here: List of Intel Core i5 microprocessors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

similar comparative lists exist for just about every other cpu too (i3, i7, AMD parts …)