How would i install firefox-3.5.3?

I have installed openSUSE 11.1 with only kde.
It’s firefox 3.0.4 installed.
Can’t find any option to update.
How can i install firefox 3.5.3?

There is a list of repositories here, with a mozilla repos:
Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE

With your PC connected to the internet, and in a terminal/konsole with root permissions, I recommend you copy and paste the following:

zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1/ mozilla
zypper install MozillaFirefox
zypper rr mozilla

then restart firefox.

Thanks.Solved.

I’m having the same issue. Oldcpu, i’ve followed your directions and this is what I’m getting in response. Just installed 11.1 kde (I believe) forgot what I chose during install and not sure how to check it.

zypper install mozillafirefox
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
‘MozillaFirefox’ is already installed.
Resolving package dependencies…
Nothing to do.

Only version of ff is the one that comes installed. So I’m not sure what’s going on. This is my 1st time trying out a linux distro, always been a windows man :shame:.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It may be because of repository priorities, which you can check in Yast>Software>Repositories. You can also chose an specific package version on the versions tab of Yast>Software>Software Management, after you add the mozilla repo.

You believe ? You need to be certain what version of openSUSE you have.

What is the output of:

cat /etc/SuSE-release

Note Linux is case sensitive.

and if was kde that you are not certain about what kde version you have, to find out type:

konsole -v

Now reference, “MozillaFirefox already installed” , … what version do you have already installed? You can easily check the firefox version you have installed by going to YaST > Software > Software Maintenance and change the filter to “search” and search for it, to see the version.

Alternatively simply type:

rpm -qa '*efox*'

If that is not MozillaFirefox-3.5.3 then you did not send the repository command first … Note I provided 3 commands and not two.

You may find it use to read up on some openSUSE concepts: Concepts - openSUSE

and also read our stickie for new users: NEW Users - Suse-11.1 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

… as noted, you may also have your repositories setup wrong … you can tell what repositories you have setup by typing:

zypper lr -d

… and WELCOME to openSUSE forums

Here is the output of: cat /etc/SuSE-release
openSUSE 11.1 (i586)
VERSION = 11.1

output from: konsole -v
The program ‘konsole’ can be found in following packages:

• kde4-konsole path: /usr/bin/konsole, repository: zypp (repo-oss) ]
  • kdebase3 path: /opt/kde3/bin/konsole, repository: zypp (repo-oss) ]
  • kde4-konsole path: /usr/bin/konsole, repository: zypp (openSUSE 11.1-0) ]
  • kdebase3 path: /opt/kde3/bin/konsole, repository: zypp (openSUSE 11.1-0) ]
  • kde4-konsole path: /usr/bin/konsole, repository: zypp (repo-update) ]

Try installing with: sudo zypper install kde4-konsole

bash: konsole: command not found

I’m going to assume that I chose gnome since this isn’t recognizing kde to be installed?

output from: rpm -qa ‘efox
MozillaFirefox-3.0.14-0.1.2
MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE-3.0.3-3.11
beagle-firefox-0.3.8-46.34.1

As for the 3 commands I followed them in order as shown in the post (top to bottom) and everything seemed like it was going well. I know I need to read up, it’s finding time to do it.

You forgot one.

zypper lr -d

Firefox 3.5.3 is Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1

sorry

zypper lr -d

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±----------------±----------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±----------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | 11.1 - VideoLan | 11.1 - VideoLan | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.1/ |
2 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
3 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.1-Debug | No | Yes | 100 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
4 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 100 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss |
5 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Oss | Yes | Yes | 100 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
6 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.1-Source | No | Yes | 100 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
7 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.1-Update | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1

Yep. That’s why you don’t have 3.5.3.

zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1
zypper ref
zypper up MozillaFirefox

ok, I tried to do the command line to add the repo, but it wouldn’t let me. Here is the output -

zypper ar Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1
If only one argument is used, it must be a URI pointing to a .repo file.
addrepo (ar) [options] <URI> <alias>
addrepo (ar) [options] <FILE.repo>

Add a repository to the sytem. The repository can be specified by its URI or can be read from specified .repo file (even remote).

Command options:
-r, --repo <FILE.repo> Just another means to specify a .repo file to read.
-t, --type <TYPE> Type of repository (yast2, rpm-md, plaindir).
-d, --disable Add the repository as disabled.
-c, --check Probe URI.
-C, --no-check Don’t probe URI, probe later during refresh.
-n, --name Specify descriptive name for the repository.
-k, --keep-packages Enable RPM files caching.
-K, --no-keep-packages Disable RPM files caching.
-f, --refresh Enable autorefresh of the repository.

Now I went into yast and added manually and it’s now showing up -

zypper lr -d

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±----------------±----------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±----------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | 11.1 - VideoLan | 11.1 - VideoLan | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.1/ |
2 | Mozilla_Firefox | Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1 |
3 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
4 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.1-Debug | No | Yes | 100 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
5 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 100 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss |
6 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Oss | Yes | Yes | 100 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
7 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.1-Source | No | Yes | 100 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
8 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.1-Update | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1 |

so then I did the 2nd command oldcpu said to do, output -

zypper ref
Repository ‘11.1 - VideoLan’ is up to date.
Repository ‘Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3’ is up to date.
Repository ‘openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss’ is up to date.
Repository ‘openSUSE-11.1-Oss’ is up to date.
Repository ‘openSUSE-11.1-Update’ is up to date.
All repositories have been refreshed.

Wasn’t sure what the output was supposed to be, I did notice that it had stated ff 3.5.3 was up to date?

Went ahead and did the last command - zypper up MozillaFirefox
and here is the output for that -

Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
No update candidate for ‘MozillaFirefox’.
Resolving package dependencies…
Nothing to do.

gonna reboot firefox and see if it updated, I know it didn’t but I’m hoping it’s just a noob thing.

Thanks for the help!

update - it didn’t :frowning:

zypper se MozillaFirefox
rpm -qa MozillaFirefox

Thats because your syntax was wrong. JonathanR is mainly a smart user, and it looks like there arbitary repos name was missing in the 1st command he provided. And unfortunately our forum policy locks posts after 10 minute or so, such that he was not able to edit his post. Note if the 1st command does not work, then neither will the others succeed.

Go back to my previous post:

Note carefully, the arbitrary name “mozilla” for the repos was missing.

Please try again.

Edit - if you are curious about the zypper syntax you can read more here: http://en.opensuse.org/Zypper/Usage

Well all I needed was a nudge in the right direction. I finally have it installed, but not the way described in this post. I had to uninstall the original version and remove the repository. Then I created one through yast–>software–>software repository. Then computer–>system–>install software, searched for firefox chose 3.5.3 and there you have it. Not sure why I couldn’t get it to work using the command line, it kept rejecting the “add repository” command? And like oldcpu said if the 1st one doesn’t work, then the rest won’t either. But I appreciate everyones help!

I was having same problem, but when I looked at the version tab in YaST there it was…thanks from a NOT Linux guru :wink: