How to Watch Movies?

Are there any applications to watch movies? I have dvds am I aloud to watch movies with linux? I tried vlc and got errors from vlc.

Playback failure:

DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/sr0".

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/sr0'. Check the log for details.

actually i had to select a different option i got it to work by selecting dvd.

actually again it isnt playing the movie just putting the album image on the screen and not playing.

actually i had to click something on the image for it to play mb thanks sorry for bothering.

actually ok last time i post this but its playing audio but not the video.

ok just want to confirm i can play a dvd in vlc which when clicking the image from the video options play audio and not the video part. is there a better dvd player?

ok last post but I tried a different dvd and I got these errors:

Playback failure:

DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.

That worked for the other dvd but it would only play audio when i clicked the image. my question is I guess can it be played on linux and if so how?

You need codecs, you get them from the packman repository.

And libdvdcss from the libdvdcss repository.

openSUSE Multimedia Codec Installation - YouTube

@errigour:

This openSUSE SDB provides the answer for Mozilla Firefox: <https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Firefox_MP4/H.264_Video_Support>

And, this one provides the answer for other codecs: <https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installing_codecs_from_Packman_repositories>

For VLC (VideoLan) codecs direct from the supplier, for the case of Leap 15.4, you need to add this repository via YaST: <https://download.videolan.org/SuSE/15.4/>

1 Like

Alright thanks for the info.

Do I have to do this step to install the vlc package or can I skip vendor change?

sudo zypper dist-upgrade --from packman --allow-vendor-change

If you skip the “–allow-vendor-change” you will probably see many conflicts, allowing you to approve the vendor-change one package at a time. It will be simpler to not skip that option.

well what i meant more specifically is can i skip the whole command that i posted? do i have to dist-upgrade --from packman or can I just install the vlc package i need and not dist-upgrade --from packman.

Best to do:

zypper dup --from packman --allow-vendor-change

There are likely to be some libraries that need to be switched to packman, and just installing “vlc” won’t do that.

1 Like

You can leave out --allow-vendor-change because it is superfluous in this case.

• First, because the --from would be useless if changing vendor would be forbidden (and the zypper developers were aware of this).
  • Second, because on Leap (though NOT on Tumbleweed) --allow-vendor-change is the default on zypper dup.

Thus the result will be the same (except that in one case you have to type more characters).

This is wrong. Why do not you check on your own system what the default settings are before posting the same wrong statement over and over again?

I was already waiting on your acid comment. I do this on purpose :wink:

But indeed (snippet from /etc/zypp/zypp.conf in Leap 15.4:

##
## EXPERTS ONLY: TUNE DISTRIBUTION UPGRADE (DUP)
## Set whether to allow changing the packages vendor upon DUP. If you
## are following a continuous distribution like Tumbleweed or Factory
## where you use 'zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change' quite frequently,
## you may indeed benefit from disabling the VendorChange. Packages from
## OBS repos will then be kept rather than being overwritten by Tumbleweeds
## version.
##
## Valid values:  boolean
## Default value: true
##
solver.dupAllowVendorChange = false

Thus the default is mentioned there as true, but it is set to false.

I can not remember that I changed this, thus I assume that the original default is the designer’s and the override is the default of the distributor of Leap 15.4.

In any case, the two commands to add the Packman repo and to do the vendor switch to it (with or without the --allow-vendor-switch does the trick of providing full multi-media support already for many years. Thus I do not see why the OP does hesitate and keeps us busy for already one day and more then 15 posts.

1 Like

It’s not necessary to remember, if you backup before modifying:

# grep RETT /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Leap 15.5"
# ls -Gg /etc/zypp/*zyp* /etc/zypp/.zyp*
-rw-r--r-- 1 21581 Jun  2  2021 /etc/zypp/.zypp.conf-15-2to3
-rw-r--r-- 1 22584 Jun  7 15:05 /etc/zypp/.zypp.conf.02
-rw-r--r-- 1 22563 Jun 12 15:46 /etc/zypp/.zypp.conf.03rpmnew
-rw-r--r-- 1 22602 Jul 17 18:56 /etc/zypp/.zypp.conf.04
-rw-r--r-- 1 22266 Feb 28 13:40 /etc/zypp/.zypp.conf01
-rw-r--r-- 1  8384 Jul  7  2022 /etc/zypp/.zypper.conf01
-rw-r--r-- 1 22602 Jul 17 18:56 /etc/zypp/zypp.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1  8384 Mar 13 11:51 /etc/zypp/zypper.conf
#

As I make notes about such things (and in many cases make indeed a copy of the original file), me saying that I do not remember changing is only because saying " I did not change …" without being able to prove it here, might look a bit arrogant.