How to restart X and kde properly?

Hello folks!

I have a simple question: how can i restart properly X and kde?

Use case: I’ve update my system, with some X and kde. I don’t want to restart, so i go to vt1, login as root, and type “init 3”. X and kde shutted down. After i type “init 5” to get back everything.

But if i logout vt1, X and kde are also gone. I know that’s normal, but i want to start X and kde as they start on boot. It’s the same with a normal account and “startx” or “startkde”

Any help appreciated :slight_smile:

A logout from your kde session, followed by a login, should be sufficient. However, you could try also doing CTRL-ALT-Backspace (I think that still works to kill the X-server). I would do that after logout and before login.

Hi
It’s ctrl+alt+<press backspace twice> these days or if you press ctrl+alt+F1 and login as root user;

init 3
init 5 && exit

Or if you just do the init 5, you need to press ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to the GUI (sometimes F8), but you still have a root login active, so you do need to ensure you exit.

Also depending on your /etc/inittab config there are additional VT’s running(F1 through F6), F10 shows kernel messages, again press ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to your GUI.

On 2011-02-10 22:36, pasja wrote:
>
> Hello folks!
>
> I have a simple question: how can i restart properly X and kde?
>
> Use case: I’ve update my system, with some X and kde. I don’t want to
> restart, so i go to vt1, login as root, and type “init 3”. X and kde
> shutted down. After i type “init 5” to get back everything.

Correct.

> But if i logout vt1, X and kde are also gone.

Are you sure? Did you type ctrl-altF7 or F8? What do you see there?

> It’s the same with a
> normal account and “startx” or “startkde”

No.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

On 02/10/2011 10:36 PM, pasja wrote:
>
> i want to start X and kde as they start on boot.

i see the other answers but: if you don’t wanna use the CLI, just
right click the desktop, pick “Leave”, then pick “Logout”, soon X and
KDE will shutdown and you will be given a log in screen…log in as
yourself and you have what you want…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

@malcolmlewis: Thanks for your quick and accurate reply! Now I understand the difference between exit and logout.

Great :slight_smile: also works for latest OpenSUSE Tumbleweed… has trouble connecting to X server …

Thanks I didn’t know that.

It's ctrl+alt+<press backspace twice> these days or if you press ctrl+alt+F1 and login as root user;

There have been issues with sddm starting too soon, but this should have been fixed a while ago. Is you TW up to date?