How to install Yast in SUSE

Hi,

While attempting to uninstall Perl (through Yast) from my SUSE installation, it ended up deleted everything important in OS :frowning:
compilers are gone, SVN gone.

its a dedicated server and lots of other applications were running on it.
now it says “-bash: yast: command not found”

can anyone help in getting it back?

Thanks in advance.
Vikas

On 01/24/2011 11:06 PM, vikas4travel wrote:
> While attempting to uninstall Perl (through Yast) from my SUSE
> installation, it ended up deleted everything important in OS :frowning:

‘it’ did? that never happened to me…thousands of folks use YaST
ever minute of every day and this is the first time i heard that it
would go off on its own and delete all the good stuff…

> compilers are gone, SVN gone.
>
> its a dedicated server and lots of other applications were running on
> it.
> now it says “-bash: yast: command not found”

what does it say if you type yast2 ??

> can anyone help in getting it back?

we might be able to help you if you tell us the operating system and
version you are using, and if it was up to date before YaST lost its
mind…

because there is a pretty good chance you can use zypper to reinstall
YaST (and the other stuff) if you are running a supported
version…if not you probably are going to have to restore from your
last good backup…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.4.4
release 3, Thunderbird3.0.11,]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

looks like lots of software have dependencies on Perl, so Yast gave me a few alerts and i selected to delete them all. and it started deleting hundreds of things :frowning:
anyways i accidentally restarted my server, and remaining things are gone too… its not able to boot… cheers !

Please forgive me, but I get a nervous twitch around my left eye when reading something like this.

You obviously have very little experience when it comes to run a server. Yet deep experience is needed before managing such a machine, because servers are constantly under attack and therefore need an admin who cares for security matters. Security is pretty much the most important parameter when running a server.

Let’s sum it up: you can not handle a package manager (as DenverD mentions, YaST does definitely not uninstall packages by itself, it only works according to the commands you give), you run a development environment including a compiler on that server (this should make any experienced admin faint!), you are not able to figure out most basic problems. Your system most likely is quite a nice target - easy to take over, run by an admin who obviously has no idea about what kind of toy he is handling. Consider this: a system as wide open as yours will not only most likely be successfully attacked, but definitely. Believe it. You might not give a second thought on that, but many of us feel uneasy about giving support to someone who is running a part of a bot network or spammer (as soon as it is able to boot, that is…).

I suggest to shut this machine down and start practising with an offline system.

Yes a lot of usefull tools like YaST need Perl. And when you are warned that that is the case, your blind hatred of Perl lets you remove all of them.
Apart from you having to read a lot of remarks about your behaviour, you apperently missed that DenverD asked you some factual information as a start for others to try to help you. As long as you do not even provide what he asks, I think nobody can help you.