How to install VMware on Tumbleweed?

Initially I tried to download VMware Player (free for personal use) from VMware website: http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ downloaded the 64 bit linux version, added execution permissions and then ran the installer. It went on console mode and in the end the installer finished but VMware wasn’t running. So after browsing a bit I found this: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/492813-How-to-install-VMware-Player-on-OpenSUSE-13-1 it says I need dkms, but I don’t find the package on the Tumbleweed repositories, and according to https://software.opensuse.org/package/dkms there are no preloaded packages.

After uninstalling and installing autoconf the installer ran next time into GUI mode, and the installation finishes and VMware Player appears on the search menu but when I click on it nothing happens, the app won’t start.

Am I missing something here?

KMS packages are to autoupdate on changes of the kernel should not be needed if manually installed. You would need to reinstall after any kernel upgrade. Also check on the kernels supported by VMware it is possible that Tumbleweed has out run what they support.

One of the little problems on running at the cutting edge:O

Verified.
Install fails silently, without generating errors.

So, as of today VBox cannot install on TW (my guess it’s likely a kernel issue).

In any case, I’d question the use of TW as a virtualization host. Whenever you run virtualization, selection of the Host should always place extremely strong emphasis on rock solid stability which TW does not guarantee.

TSU

On 11/06/2015 01:06 PM, tsu2 wrote:
>
> Verified.
> Install fails silently, without generating errors.
>
> So, as of today VBox cannot install on TW (my guess it’s likely a kernel
> issue).
>
> In any case, I’d question the use of TW as a virtualization host.
> Whenever you run virtualization, selection of the Host should always
> place extremely strong emphasis on rock solid stability which TW does
> not guarantee.
>
> TSU
>
>

I’m running VB on TB without error. But I always use the version from
Oracle and use DKMS from packman.

Ken
linux since 1994
S.U.s.E./openSUSE since 1996

Sorry, my mistake.
I referenced VBox when VBox should not have any problems running on TW…
But, VMware Player (latest download from VMware) will not install and run on TW.

TSU

I’m guessing Kernel conflict VMware not caught up yet??

VMware fails constantly on nearly every rolling distribution. They need a long time to adopt to new kernels. I tried to use it on Tumbleweed (also tried it on some arch machine) for 6 months and have to say it isn’t worth the hassle. You will have to hack your way out with nearly every kernel update. I switched to VB for Tumbleweed and don’t regret it.

It’s a kernel issue. Vmware supports up to 4.2, but in Tumbleweed you got already 4.3+ right? In fact, when I tried TW just a couple of days before Leap release, kernel was something like 4.2.x and it didn’t work either, because it only worked up to 4.2 and no beyond that version.

In Vmware community forums there is a fix, but it’s not trivial and likely you will always need to fix your Vmware installation with every kernel update, and it’s not as trivial as fixing Nvidia drivers for example.

My advice if you need to use Vmware is to stick to Leap, otherwise you will always have problems either with kernel or with GCC.

I had a similar situation and its quite annoying. I chose KVM instead, however either works, as long as I can have VMs actually run…

The problem I see with VBox compared to Vmware (don’t know about KVM) is that it has a lower performance (maybe because you can have more graphic memory in Vmware). Obviously, if you just use VMs for headless servers that’s irrelevant, but for a Windows machine used like if it was a real system, with application which need resources, Vmware usually offer a better performance. And I know what I’m talking about as I was using VBox for like… 4 years, until a few months ago switched to Vmware and was like… WTF? Why didn’t I do it earlier? xD

Another good point for Vmware is device integration. Vmware is just click and done. For VBox you need to do other steps (like adding yourself to specific groups, not a big deal but added work) and some times the integration is not even as good. For example, right now I have a USB camera that is detected and installed by the guest, however it only records sound but no video. However, with Vmware is just “Connect this device to the guest (disconnect from the host)”, and working without any problem. The same with multiple monitors, some times they don’t work in VBox or don’t work as well as they should be.

And to wrap up with this “off-topic”, what I said earlier…: if you need to use Vmware, don’t install TW unless you know how to fix things at kernel level.