How to install SUSE on my Laptop

Hi guys,
I want to install openSUSE on my Laptop,now i have got windows7 installed on it .
primary partition C drive (100 GB) and i want to reduce that to 50GB and the rest space is decided to use for SUSE, can I do that?
I have got total of 500GB HDD and please help me to configure SUSE and Windows on my machine

Here is some guide
Picasa Web Albums - carl fletcher - 11.3 Slideshow

Install openSUSE alongside Win7/Vista - A Guide

• binoythankappan wrote, On 12/01/2010 10:36 AM:
    >
    > Hi guys,
    > I want to install openSUSE on my Laptop,now i have got windows7
    > installed on it .
    > primary partition C drive (100 GB) and i want to reduce that to 50GB
    > and the rest space is decided to use for SUSE, can I do that?

Sure. Defrag the Windows partition, then use a tool like gparted (create a boot CD from one of their ISOs) to resize the partition.
Now boot from the openSUSE install medium. The Linux bootloader will incorporate the Windows boot option by default.

Uwe

On 2010-12-01 10:36, binoythankappan wrote:

output of “fdisk -l” ?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

All of your laptop will currently be taken up by windows partitions. Some laptops have up to three partitions pre-installed; e.g. mine has a manufacturer’s system partition, then a partition containing the “image” that I can use to reinstall windows on the lappy to factory-fresh state, then the windows C-drive occupies the rest.

OK, so you need to make room for Linux on the hard drive (as buckesfeld advised).

There are three options for making space for installing openSUSE:

1. let the openSUSE installer make space during the install (this often happens by default, it’s the default if you don’t make space first)
  2. use Gparted on a CD (as in the advice of buckesfeld)
  3. use the windows partitioner (as I advise below)

I advise choice three, that you make the space for openSUSE from within windows while it is running, using the windows partitioner tool to shrink the windows partition/s, most commonly the end one. The windows partitioner is found in Control Panel → administrative tools → computer management → storage → disk management.