How to hide a user in lightdm login menu?

Hello

I try to hide a user login from the lightdm login menu

I have a second user, ftp-user (with a UID of 501) and I want to hide this user in the lightdm login menu.

I found in /etc/lightdm/users.conf this line:

hidden-users=nobody ftp-user

But when I add my user to hide nothing happens.

Another option I found is in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf:

greeter-hide-users=true

which, when enabled, does hide ALL users - but I only want to hide a particual user.

somehow /etc/lightdm/users.conf is ignored (which option seem to allow to do what I want)

Is there anyone with a idea how I can do this

Thanks in advance

System:
openSuSE 13.1 64 bit with XFCE desktop

For kdm you could do that easily in its configuration module… :wink:
No idea about lightdm.

But, lightdm’s users.conf says this:

#
# User accounts configuration
#
# NOTE: If you have AccountsService installed on your system, then LightDM will
# use this instead and these settings will be ignored

So I would suggest to try to change /var/lib/AccountsService/users/ftp-user, there should be a line “SystemAccount=false” there. Change it to “SystemAccount=true”, that should hide the user. Or just add “SystemAccount=true” if such a line does not exist.

I’m not sure whether this will work (I don’t have lightdm installed), but according to Bug #1300514 “Account with UID 501 disappeared after update” : Bugs : accountsservice package : Ubuntu it should… :wink:

Thank you very much wolfi

**This did exactly what I wanted.
I didn’t now about this location and I had to add the ftp-user file manualy also.

Thanks again.

Ah, ok.
Then apparently this file only gets created when you login as that user.

For the record (maybe somebody else stumbles over this and finds this thread), if you have to create the file manually, it should look like this I suppose:

[User]SystemAccount=true

Or uninstall accountsservice. LightDM doesn’t need it AFAICS, and would use the /etc/lightdm/users.conf if it’s not available.
But this will also uninstall gdm and gnome-control-center (on my system; there might be other packages that need it), so (especially because of the latter) might not be an option for you.

This is how the user file looks like:

[User]
Language=en_US.utf8
XSession=xfce
SystemAccount=true

…at this location: /var/lib/AccountService/

Yeah, right.

But if you create that file manually just for hiding the user, you don’t have to set “Language” and “XSession”.
Those are used to store the user’s preferred language and desktop environment respectively.

Btw, in my previous post the formatting got destroyed for some reason. The file should look like this of course:

[User]
SystemAccount=true

Ok -

Thanks for your help!