how to have the username permanently on the screen

in my laptop with opensuse 12.2 and kde 4.10 I have 4 users, me, eros, nipoti, rosy.
when “me” use the laptop and “nipoti” come and use it, they know that they have to change the user, but when “me” come back doesn’t know which user is playng, I would like to have the name of the user on the screen, how to have this???
-I used notes on desktop (plasma object), but they are too easy to change
-to change the screen and write on it (with gimp on the screen file) isn’t good becouse the screen is changed often and automatically
other ideas???
thanx, ciao :slight_smile: pier :slight_smile:

The kicker shows (user)name … but that’s not what you want. You want some dynamic wallpaper, kind of watermarked with the username. Widgets, like notes can be removed, so that’s out of order. Don’t think this is possible the way you describe it.
I’d expected there would be some panel widget displaying just the username@hostname, when hovered showin a bit more. Would that serve your needs?

:)yes, this is not what I want…

the problem of notes isn’t only the easy remove but the easy modify too, just a click…, if you can only remove you notes the difference, but if you modify you are convinced to use your user…
if a widget could be placed as root…

yes, this could be better than a note…
thnx, ciao :slight_smile: pier

The best thing would be that those users act with some responsibility and lock their session when they walk away.

Then from the locked screen, you can see who is loged in and either go to your own session and unlock, or start a new session for yourself. It seems that the designers of the lock screen have designed it with your problem in mind. Only thing is that they could not imagine people not securing their session when they go to the loo.

You can create a plasmoid saying “Hello world” using Plasmate, shouldn’t be too hard to make it say “User: Pier”.

good idea, I tried plasmate but didn’t succeed, I triedthis and it’s ok, but I would like bigger text, hoh can I have??

I used this as metadata

[LEFT]
[Desktop Entry] Name=Hello QML Comment=A hello world widget in QML Icon=chronometer   X-Plasma-API=declarativeappletscript X-Plasma-MainScript=ui/main.qml X-Plasma-DefaultSize=200,100   X-KDE-PluginInfo-Author=Frederik Gladhorn X-KDE-PluginInfo-Email=gladhorn@kde.org X-KDE-PluginInfo-Website=http://plasma.kde.org/ X-KDE-PluginInfo-Category=Examples X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=org.kde.hello-qml X-KDE-PluginInfo-Version=0.0   X-KDE-PluginInfo-Depends= X-KDE-PluginInfo-License=GPL X-KDE-PluginInfo-EnabledByDefault=true X-KDE-ServiceTypes=Plasma/Applet Type=Service
[/LEFT]

and this as content

[LEFT]
import QtQuick 1.0   Text {     text: "Hello world!"; }
[/LEFT]

thnx, ciao, :slight_smile: pier

I think it’s better I open a new thread…:slight_smile: