how to get copy/paste to work better?

I use a graphics program, imageJ, which is a java app. It allows me to “Copy to System”. I am unable to paste an image into openoffice (and other programs) but, there is little problem with pasting into microsoft office running with Crossover.

I am at a loss as to how I can resolve these issues - obvously imageJ IS copying the image to the system clipboard - but it also seems like different aps can or can not see the item copied.

There is little information on how to deal with copy/paste issues, unortunately, so any advice would be well appreciated!

I don’t really use Wine, but I’m guessing that Windows apps don’t see the system (KDE?) clipboard.

What you may have to do is paste it into a different imaging app, save the file, and then open that picture in Microsoft Office.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Keep in mind that Linux has two copy/paste buffers by default. First,
there’s the one accessed via Ctrl+X/Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V which we all know and
use intuitively. Second, there is the one that automatically copies
whatever is highlighted and pastes whenever you middle-click or click
with your scroll wheel. You may want to try using that in case that
works. I can’t say I’ve setup microsoft office in CrossOver ever but
I’m I can definitely copy/paste from IE in CrossOver to the rest of my
system as I recall.

Good luck.

jkalexan wrote:
| I use a graphics program, imageJ, which is a java app. It allows me to
| “Copy to System”. I am unable to paste an image into openoffice (and
| other programs) but, there is little problem with pasting into
| microsoft office running with Crossover.
|
| I am at a loss as to how I can resolve these issues - obvously imageJ
| IS copying the image to the system clipboard - but it also seems like
| different aps can or can not see the item copied.
|
| There is little information on how to deal with copy/paste issues,
| unortunately, so any advice would be well appreciated!
|
|
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIgpLy3s42bA80+9kRAhvNAJ41GrwkVrlYs1V26F+IeViSRxBxxgCfbJLb
qdQzVcZR6n+tha3du0ljT94=
=nVur
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Unfortunately, saving and inserting is the only option - but that defeats the whole purpose of using copy/paste.

Things work rather fine with the wine applications- I can copy/paste from linux apps (like open office) and paste them in ms office just fine. It is only when I copy from the java application that I can’t paste in openoffice (or any other linux application) whereas I can paste it into the ms office app in wine.

In essence - if I want to use copy/paste, I have to use a microsoft product on linux! grrr - i would have thought there would be better copy/paste compatibility between native linux apps.

I have the source code the java application uses to copy things to the clipboard. I don’t know java - but the code isnt that big - so I am hoping that I might be able to find out why MSOffice in wine can see what is in the clipboard but Openoffice can’t.