How to Clear Journal Files on Leap 42.1

I’m running Leap 42.1 and journalctl --verify reports many corrupted journal files.
The version of journalctl that is installed does not have a --vacuum option. It is not mentioned in the man pages, and attempts results in “unrecognized option”.

# journalctl --vacuum-time=2d
  journalctl: unrecognized option '--vacuum-time=2d'

Is there a way of obtaining a new journalctl binary that has the --vacuum option?
Would simply removing the journal files with rm cause other problems?

Pointers, recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I do not expect any. Only active journal file should be kept open by journald, other files are archives.

Old journal files can be removed safely simply by navigating into the subdirectory contained in /var/log/journal/ and deleting as root or using sudo those files with dates older than you require.

Many thanks to all who replied.

Is there a way to find out why my system is having so many corrupted journal files?
jounalctl --verify results in corrupted files that go on forever.

I’m thinking there may be an underlying problem.
The system does randomly fail with dbus problems upon boot.

dbus[793]: [system] Failed to activate service ‘org.freedesktop.systemd1’: timed out

Thanks.

What I would try first is smartctl -t long, then, if passed, an offline (rescue boot) forced fsck of the filesystem containing /var/log/journal/, and then delete and recreate /var/log/journal/, before booting 42.1 again.