How often to update?

As a tw newbie:

How often do you update?

Daily seems like a lot…

Thanks

Hi
Every new snapshot after review of the changes… and yes can be daily, even twice daily if there is something in the update channel (like the other day with qemu).

One way to find out if a new snapshot is released is watching in this forum > Other Forums > News & Announcements > Announcements.

You can e.g. make an RSS feed on it.

I update some systems once every two weeks. I update others every day or two.

I mostly use Leap, so it isn’t that important to me whether my TW systems are up to date. If I were using TW as my primary system, I would update more often. You will have to make your own decision on what works for you.

NOTE: I have another TW system that I have not updated for several years. If I decide to start using that again, I will do a clean install. I would not rely on just updating after that long. But waiting for a week or two before updating should not cause any problems.

Tumbleweed - every update announcement - means most days there is an update.

The build system goal is a new snapshot every day, so 5-6 days in a row isn’t particularly unusual. OTOH, at times there can be a week or more in between. If you have to think about upgrade frequency or volume being too much, you might not become a happy TW user.

I have more than 40 TW installations. They get upgraded when I’m in the mood, never automatically. Less than 3X/year per PC isn’t unusual here. More than 1X/month is. It tends to average closer to the 2-3 months in between range for older PCs. My 24/7 PCs are running OS/2 & Leap, which also get updates when I’m in the mood, never automatically.

I have in my little network (for private use and our little business) 4 leap computers and one Tumbleweed computer. My main computer is the Tumbleweed computer and I use Tumbleweed to stay up-to-date with what is coming towards the other computer. I normally update the TUmbleweed computer once a week and if there is something not quite working or causing errors then may be I update sometimes in between. When on holiday I sometimes don’t update for a few weeks. My goal is to have a working computer with up-to-date software and not to test every new snapshot. Before an update I normally glance through this forum to see if recent updates caused any problems. So once or twice I delayed updates for that reason.

As needed: daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly. Anything works. Beware of security issues. Dup to avoid them.

On main system: usually daily for about 2 years, never had to use snapper rollback, at most chose to use a previous kernel if nvidia broke, or to live with an eventual regression, I remember one from systemd-resolved that didn’t want to play nice to my router. If recall a few others with plymouth, btrfs, etc that I wasn’t affected. Sticking to defaults, that is setups most people share, works best and is a solid experience. I download all packages in background on boot, then update when I have a chance.

Recently I switched to updating every 2-4 weeks on this system. I find it’s not a good use of my time the daily update. From hundreds of updates a week, I don’t expect to profit from many individual updates, for instance dozens of rebuilds every snapshot, and other minor features. And since I follow forums and other channels I’m generally aware of important security updates. While I could fully automate updates, reverting on breakages, I am not convinced this is worth. I still read every changelog which is another step of the ritual I might drop because there’s a lot of noise and they don’t include upstream changelogs often.

On laptop: this one is left behind, update when I remember about it every 2-3 months. Up to a few months should not be a problem.

In short, just don’t update 15 minutes before you meet your CEO over video.