How many run openSUSE Gnome?

Uggh…someone needs to throw some water on the GNOME love fest going on in
here. I take it, most of you are Ubuntu converts?

GNOME is a blight upon the earth.

<INCOMING!><g,d&r>

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 23:32:29 +0000, GofBorg wrote:

> Uggh…someone needs to throw some water on the GNOME love fest going on
> in here. I take it, most of you are Ubuntu converts?

Nope, actually a RH convert here. I was too cheap to pay for RHN, so got
my updates via Ximian Red Carpet, and in the course of using that, I
started using GNOME.

Before GNOME, I used Enlightenment DR16, which I actually preferred over
GNOME; but I got tired of waiting for DR17 to come out.

I’ve tried KDE a few times, but I’ve found GNOME to be cleaner and
simpler; I can customize it to the extent that I need, and it doesn’t
feel cluttered to me (as KDE does). That said, I prefer K3B for burning
CDs/DVDs, and Quanta+ for web page editing, so I do not limit myself to
GNOME apps, but use a mix of both.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Moderator

Mandrake KDE and Solaris CDE :wink:

I’ve used Ubuntu sparc server though on my Ultra10, it’s back to
running Solaris/Gnome…

I also installed on the ASUS the netbook remix one for a short time,
will give KDE4 another whirl with 11.2 GM.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
up 2 days 20:34, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.09, 0.08
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

> I also installed on the ASUS the netbook remix one for a short time,
> will give KDE4 another whirl with 11.2 GM.

I would anticipate KDE4 on a netbook to be a poor experience, but depends
on what you expect out of it.

Hi
I have a N280 with 2GB of RAM, HT CPU and faster FSB. I’ve had KDE4 on
it already, kwin worked fine, video playback etc. But really need to
spend sometime in a VM to get up to speed.

up 2 days 21:10, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.13, 0.07

KDE has an extremely modern-looking interface that simply throws Aero out of the water. But GNOME has plenty of pros as well. I’m writing this reply right now while logged into GNOME, and it’s just a bit faster to get work done in GNOME than in KDE. Programs more easily accessible, just fire up a menu and choose Firefox (it’s right in front of you) and you’re set to go. In KDE, either set a desktop icon or go to the application launcher, type Firefox and choose the option in the menu for the fastest KDE way.
I’ve preferred KDE ever since I began using it, but honestly, it’s mostly because of all the eye candy included by default that I like it. Most of the applications included in KDE I never even use. GNOME can do for me what KDE does, both are good desktop environments.

Not at all. I have 11.2 RC2 with KDE 4.3 on an Eeepc 900 (using a Celeron, the last pre-Atom model) and it zips along nicely, certainly no discernible difference from the Ubuntu Hardy previously running on it. And that’s with Kwin effects including the cube, and heavily themed (Glassified etc). I would argue that KDE4 is better suited to netbooks with their small screens (mine’s a nine-inch at 1024x600 resolution) because Plasma offers more effective desktop layouts than Gnome (Folderviews, Activities).

Using kde now.

> Not at all.

Well that’s good to hear. I have just heard of many
Netbook users being displeased with performance of them
regardless of the OS installed. As I said I think it is
expectation of the user. Having never tried KDE4 on a netbook,
I was just basing it on 1) The apparent anemic hardware present
in netbooks. 2) User feedback on netbooks

I have to think there must be something to the claims or why
would we be seeing projects like Moblin etc…

I have 11.1/KDE4 installed on a Duron 1Ghz laptop and it runs pretty well,
no effects enabled. Boot time is not impressive.

Boot time is just under a minute which isn’t sensational but liveable with. I can see the point of Moblin, Ubuntu Remix, and other custom netbook projects in that a traditional desktop is not best suited to the small screens and fiddly keyboard/mousepad. Nobody would be mad enough to attempt photo or video editing, even serious writing on these machines, and their best use is - as the name suggests - for web surfing and cloud-based apps, with a simplified UI.
Yet I still prefer the traditional desktop on them, probably because of its familiarity, and because I sometimes do the sort of things on them which I shouldn’t really use them for, like writing, simply to be in the fresh air :slight_smile: That was my point about Plasma: it’s fairly straightforward to use Folderview to knock up a simple UI that doesn’t rely on chunky panels and menu slabs, and Activities rather than the traditional workspaces/virtual desktops to quickly switch between custom sets of plasmoids.

I have been using the Gnome version of OpenSuse since version 11. I think both Gnome and KDE have their strengths and weaknesses. From Gnome, I like the Cheese webcam program, for example. From KDE, I appreciate Konqueror, for example, both as a file manager and a web browser. I think an ideal system would be one where you could switch between Gnome, KDE and any other desktop environment when you wished.However,that would be would be a massive ISO!
Be flexible and appreciate that Linux gives one the freedom to choose not just the OS but the desktop environment as well.
For OpenSuse 11.2, I am going to try out KDE again, just to see what is new, because Linux and open source gives me that freedom.
Cheers from Guelph Ontario! :slight_smile:

I started on openSUSE 8.2 with KDE 3.1, then purchased a laptop running 9.2 so installed both KDE and GNOME. Through all releases up to 11.0 I tinkered with GNOME from time to time. Initially I liked its clean looks - a contrast to KDE’s cluttered interface - but I consistently found that where something would just work, or could be easily configured somewhere to work how I liked it in KDE, things were never so free-flowing or configurable in GNOME. My GNOME logins hence declined over time as I’d never go more than a few hours without some frustration. Just one example: clicking an XML file in KDE opened it in Konqueror; doing the same in GNOME presented me with a file picker at usr/bin or ~. As a Linux newbie I was completely lost.

With 11.1, I needed to free up more space on my old laptop’s drive so just went for KDE4. I could never look back to KDE3 or GNOME now. Apps like Dolphin are too beautifully designed and well thought through for me to want to switch. The KDE folks seem to have done a great job at cleaning up the clutter yet still maintaining the configurability. They also seem to have made some GNOME-like leanings with things like the ‘Places’ concept and breadcrumb navigation, but in a better implementation than GNOME.

That said, I hope GNOME 3 brings the interface kicking and screaming into the modern age and I hope brings it a step closer to KDE too. I don’t see a unified desktop as necessary but any attempts to make things less desktop dependent is a good move.

Alt+f2 type in firef and hit enter (no mouse required, optimal speed ;))
Same with the menu itself, type in firef and hit enter and it should be launching. You should also be able to drag any desktop icon to a panel to have it in one click range.
Firefox should also be under favorite by default so it should already show up directly when you click the menu… if it isn’t somehow navigate via the menu to Internet > Web Browser and rightclick it ‘Add to favorites’.

For the fastest way possible, rightclick the menu icon, ‘menu editor’.
Find firefox (internet>web browser), go to the advanced tab and set up a hotkey.

I’m sure Gnome offers similar functionality :slight_smile:

I run openSUSE 10.3 Gnome. But that is more a case of inertia.
When my son gave me the computer it had, other than Windows XP,
Debian Sarge Gnome. I have passed through SLED Desktop,
openSUSE 10.2, but always with Gnome.
Then I am an end-user and really do not understand the
professional differences.
P.Rudra.

• I run Gnome.
  • Emacs is indeed evil, which is why I use XEmacs.
  • Everyone should be using KDE4 Yakuake as their terminal.

PS I do get a little cross at the meme that says we Gnome users are somehow misguided or lacking.

PPS Dead serious about yakuake, it interoperates perfectly with Gnome.

Hi
I use tilda instead of Yakuake, but believe there is a Gnome version
guake in the community repositories.

up 5 days 13:49, 2 users, load average: 0.45, 0.54, 0.58

After using openSUSE for several years, here are my thoughts:
KDE is great - fast, powerful and good-looking with hints and information balloons all over the place… but(!) I sincerely prefer GNOME. It forces the user to be a lot more “hands-on” system-wide and this is very helpful if you want to learn linux inside-out. GNOME is not as intuitive and window$-like as KDE, mas it has its own glamour. I have learned so much in GNOME by just being forced to. In KDE almost every little thing is thought of and that is great for the absolutely newbie, but with GNOME you can improve your knowledge. As I see it, GNOME is much more Unix-spirited that KDE (which for me feels a bit like Micro$oft’s OS…). Still, KDE is popular and easy to use and I’m very grateful for it, but in the end, having experienced both to the fullest of my capabilities, I always end up choosing GNOME and, as time passes by and new system management challenges appear, I never look back - GNOME prevails solid as rock.

gnome… it’s simple and works.

There is no place like Gnome

Blingify your PC ‘Install Gnome’

openSUSE 11.2 (i586) Kernel 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop
up 10:32, 2 users, load average: 0.38, 0.17, 0.16
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Too simple that it just doesn’t work for me :wink: