How do I know if I'm using the best graphics driver for my computer?

I have the following setup:

Computer: Acer AX1470-UR30P
openSUSE 13.2 (64bit)
Linux 3.16.7-21-desktop
KDE 4.14.6
AMD A4-3400 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics

I have an HD monitor and everything looks HD and correct, but I assume some drivers will get better FPS/performance than others. How can i know which drivers I should have? Where should I get them from?

Unless you have taken steps to install a proprietary driver, then you’ll likely be using the open source radeon driver, and of course it will depend on the graphics chipset as to whether it is supported by the AMD driver.

You might want to share the graphics chipset and driver details. Display controllers are usually identified by a particular PCI device class ID (03), so the following command should help report the device

lspci -nnk | grep '\03' -A3

You can also examine /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see details about your card and the driver in use, but the file is verbose and needs a bit of interpretation.

It prints out:

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sumo [Radeon HD 6410D] [1002:9644]
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:061d]
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sumo [Radeon HD 6410D] [1002:9644]
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:061d]
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon

So, you’re using the default radeon driver, and from a quick check of AMD, it reports that the HD 6xxx series chipset is supported by the current proprietary driver. If you want to try using the proprietary driver, then review the following

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

Thanks. How can I know if one will give better performance than the other?

Depends on what you mean by performance the open source driver is pretty good these days how ever it may lack some extensions used by some games. So for pure desktop usage it is a toss up use what works. If you are into 3D graphic gaming you will want the AMD driver

Other then that try them and use some graphic speed testing software. Or maybe check the web for reviews. I assure you someone has tested the things :wink: