How are games started in OpenSuse?

I’m still pretty new to OpenSuse and Linux and want to install some games which have Linux versions. I have installed two first person shooters, Unreal Tournament 2004 and Nexuiz. UT2004 seems to run but Nexuiz has a problem with starting up, and gives me the following error message.

mircea@linux-wdzw:~> /opt/Nexuiz//nexuiz-linux-glx.sh
/opt/Nexuiz//nexuiz-linux-glx.sh: line 121: /opt/Nexuiz/nexuiz-linux-x86_64-glx: Permission denied
/opt/Nexuiz//nexuiz-linux-glx.sh: line 121: exec: /opt/Nexuiz/nexuiz-linux-x86_64-glx: cannot execute: Success

Is there a problem with the way it are executed? I heard it is but don’t know how to start it up correctly from the command line. What must one do and how must such games be configured and started like?

Right click to this file and go to properties. At the Permissions tab check the Is executable box.
Good luck.

That glx.sh file is already marked as being allowed to run as an executable, but that issue still exists. What else do I need to do?

Try typing

sh name_of_file.sh

replacing name_of_file with the one you are trying to install

Andy

No good, still getting the same issue.

mircea@linux-wdzw:/opt/Nexuiz> sh nexuiz-linux-glx.sh
nexuiz-linux-glx.sh: line 121: /opt/Nexuiz/nexuiz-linux-x86_64-glx: Permission denied
nexuiz-linux-glx.sh: line 121: exec: /opt/Nexuiz/nexuiz-linux-x86_64-glx: cannot execute: Success
mircea@linux-wdzw:/opt/Nexuiz>

Try to chown it:

su
chown <userName> nexuiz-linux-glx.sh

Good luck.

Looks like permission problem, go to the directory and type in an opened terminal (as root of course)
chmod 755 (and the file You want to run)

“chmod 755 myfile” does not do return anything and just passes me to the next line. If I try to run the file normally again I get the same error.

Have You tried running it as ROOT?

And what is with chown?

It would be best for him to chown whole folder with nexuiz then (he could dl some add-ons etc. to th folder without gaining root priivileges)

Run go to the root where nexuiz folder is and run in terminal as root chown (your username) (nexuiz folder) -R

I have tried running it from root but the problem is the same. I will try the chown command tomorrow if that can still help, though root should normally have complete privileges if I remember correctly.

Now i must say it is really weird if even root can’t run it.

Tried chown in root either way but same issue, both as root and as my user alike. I checked in permissions and the folder with everything in it is owned by me.

MirceaKitsune wrote:

>
> Tried chown in root either way but same issue, both as root and as my
> user alike. I checked in permissions and the folder with everything in
> it is owned by me.
>
>

Just had a quick look at this thread and may be a mile off but have you tried running the file, from your /home with the full path to it, or if in the file dir put a ./ in front of the file:

sh ./name-of-file.sh

it could be a path thing.

as I said have only had a quick scan through the posts but HTH

Mark…

Nil illegitimi carborundum

I have, but same result.

I may be missing something, but isn’t the permission problem with /opt/Nexuiz/nexuiz-linux-x86_64-glx and not the .sh file? What are the permissions on that file (“ls -l /opt/Nexuiz/nexuiz-linux-x86_64-glx”)?

mircea@linux-wdzw:~> ls -l /opt/Nexuiz/nexuiz-linux-x86_64-glx
-rw-r--r-- 1 mircea users 1887560 2009-01-11 16:28 /opt/Nexuiz/nexuiz-linux-x86_64-glx
mircea@linux-wdzw:~>

mircea is my normal username which it should run from.

Yeas, but the execute is missing. :wink:

Exactly what I was thinking - it is trying to execute the second script, but that doesn’t have execute permissions either. “chmod +x /opt/Nexuiz/nexuiz-linux-x86_64-glx” should add execute permissions for everyone so that it’ll be able to run :slight_smile: