Hot CPU Temp

Cant remember what app it is using Gnome but it monitors the CPU Temp, both cpus ( Intel Dual Core) are sitting at 75C, i think thats a tadge too hot, what do you think, Cheers Mal

mctoon wrote:
> both cpus ( Intel Dual Core) are sitting at 75C, i think thats a tadge
> too hot, what do you think

i think if i went to the intel site i could look up for you the
allowable temp range, but i don’t know which chip you have, so you
should do that that for yourself…

however, i’m sure it is not overheated at 75…

on the other hand, 75 might be very low (or “a tadge to hot”)
considering all you have running…

since you didn’t say either what you are running, or what the chip
is there is not much i’d wanna guess about…

i could guess you have not dusted out that machine’s CPU cooler or
airways since you bought it…but, if you went to the manufacturer’s
web site and read the maintenance manual it might recommend you to
inspect for chicken bones and feathers every year or two…

or maybe the machine is several years old and you need to change the
CPU grease…

but, there i am guessing again…and it is hard to guess with so
little info given.

palladium

I have a gateway mseries laptop the fansruns nonstop its far too hot what could be the problem
the windows vipartition does not overheat like this

75ºC ain’t bad for a intel CPU depending on it’s generation and specially on your laptop’s thermal design.

Remember that most OEM based laptops have very poor thermal designs. One of my previous laptops, a CLEVO M665SRU (other mark branded) had it’s NVIDIA GPU running at 81/90ºC in idle, this was one of the twisted G86 cores. Though nvidia had it’s share in the poor materials used on this chip, the laptop manufacturer was mainly responsible for the poor thermal design and poor quality thermal materials used.

I wouldn’t brag much unless the CPU goes higher than 90ºC. If you want it to go lower, try improving the quality of your thermal equipment, like thermal pads… I would eventually advice to use Artic Silver 5 or Artic Ceramique as your CPU thermal compound, that can most likely cut 10/15ºC after it’s cured (ceramique only, around 40 thermal cycles until it’s cured).

I’m usually inspecting my system with “powertop” - sometimes you discover strange activity on your laptop :slight_smile: or some system activity you did not suppose to see, etc. - at least you know exactly what is eating CPU/power and how well your power-save / CPU-frequency is managed…

Rgds,
-Dimitri

hello
i have a problem with an Acer Aspire 5720z
on windows 7 the CPU temp stay around 45 - 50 C
i installed suse 11.2 and the fan does not start
at acer they tolled me that i ned a program for linux, something “power manager”
cand you tell me where do i get that program?

i tryed to install suse last suse but the notebook shute down before the install finish

i need a little more help with this

If my notebook’s Intel C2D T6670 goes over 40C approx, the fan starts up and cools it. Never seen it go much over 50C even in summer.

I think it depends on your particular processor (obviously) but according to the following you’re fine (maybe a bit high), you should determine you’re cpu family and Google to be sure.

from: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2_Duo_(Merom)
Thermal Specifications

The maximum temperature for safe operation is 100°C.

The catastrophic thermal protection temperature is 125°C.

Idle temperature is typically around 30-50°C.

Temperature at full utilisation is around 60-70°C.

These latter two values will of course depend largely on cooling systems and available airflow.

The only thing I’d add is:

Temp above which CPU life expectancy begins to be shortened is 85°C

(per private conversation with Intel CPU design engineer at trade show about 2004)