I first have to say that I am totally new to Linux and have used it a couple of times only. Yet I have to use it in the future. I am running openSUSE 12.3.
I have a strange thing that happened:
- After an installation without error, I installed Matlab. That too without issue. I have the parallel computing toolbox and start it using the locale configuration, it finds the 8 cores and everything is fine, I can run my program.
- Now, there has been an electrical failure in the city that caused the desktop to stop functioning. I restarted the computer and realized that the hostname of the machine has changed ! It was eco-pai04 before the failure and is now linux-kcz8. If that wasn’t enough, now Matlab does not work correctly.
- Thinking I had been hacked or anything, I deleted the openSUSE partition and made a clean install again. Matlab works fine, hostname is back to eco-pai04.
- I shut down the computer and reboot it one day later, hostname has changed again…
- I have tried many things: start openSUSE in failsafe mode, with advanced options, run the memory test. Nothing has changed since and the hostname remains linux-kcz8.site
When I type
in the terminal, it gives me
. Also, I am normally a root user, as I understand, since I created the account. However, I cannot read/write in the root folder and had to install Matlab in another folder than the normal one proposed on installation since I didn’t have the permission to do so.
I have to admit that I am a bit lost and I want to avoid having to delete the partition again to reinstall everything. Plus, I fear that this happens in the future. Do any of you have any idea of any solution for me ?
Thank you very much for your help,