homerecording OS

I am very satisfied user of openSUSE 11.1
But I wonder what OS I should best choose for homerecording with jack and Ardour 2.8.x there is no Jacklab anymore.

I hear 64studio is the best choice or is it possible to make a even as good homerecording distribution with openSUSE by choosing music and recording applications and the realtime kernel.

SUSE Studio - openSUSE

greetings
Anton

Yes, 64 Studio is the best choice for that. Even better if you can dual boot with it (as I did). It’s debian based, but with cutting edge multimedia packages built or backported in-house, and the 3.0 beta uses ubuntu repos for the day to day packages. The application expertise available in the 64 Studio forum with the pre-configured applications are reason enough. Once you have achieved your best homerecording setup on 64 Studio, you can approach Suse Studio in an attempt to recreate a similar setup with realtime kernel and appropriate applications.

Ok thanks I will try that.
Is 64Studio better then Ubuntu Studio 9.04
or almost the same.

Not by reputation previous to 9.04. I didn’t actually try Ubuntu Studio, although more glossy than 64 Studio, it’s much less “industrial” strength. The knowledge of users/musicians in the 64 Studio forum is important, and the distro team offers professional services. Ubuntu studio had a lot of problems with its kernel, and more users seem to move from that distro to 64 Studio, than go the other way (if any). That’s an impression I formed from reading posts, rather than any stats.

consused wrote:
> Yes, 64 Studio is the best choice for that. Even better if you can dual
> boot with it (as I did). It’s debian based, but with cutting edge
> multimedia packages built or backported in-house, and the 3.0 beta uses
> ubuntu repos for the day to day packages. The application expertise
> available in the 64 Studio forum with the pre-configured applications
> are reason enough. Once you have achieved your best homerecording setup
> on 64 Studio, you can approach Suse Studio in an attempt to recreate a
> similar setup with realtime kernel and appropriate applications.
>
>
Why would 64 Studio be a better choice then either Ubuntu Studio or
Dyne.bolic?

Further to that, you may be interested in this older, short thread, in this forum apr/may time, and worth going back through its posts. That user was happy to arrive at 64 Studio and was posting there soon after. See post #6 for his reference to Ubuntu studio as a toy, and post #8 for his reaction to the early 3.0 beta.

A better choice for what?

A better choice OS for home recording with linux.

The question wasn’t aimed at you, but at @69_rs_ss.

I gave you my reasons for 64 Studio, and for rejecting Ububtu Studio at the time I did my research, plus the link to a previous thread. Also, having looked at dyne.bolic website, I wouldn’t personally consider it, whatever rasta software means lol!.

If you think Ubuntu studio 9.04 has improved with a realtime kernel, give it a spin. I suggest first you try and check the level of application integration, default setup, documentation, and support (forum) beforehand. :wink:

I have installed Ubuntu Studio 64 with the realtime kernel
everthing works fine so far.
I asked because 64studio 3.0 is still beta 3 for months.
Installed 64studio looks like it is based on an older real time kernel.

They won’t release until all the apps work together, and of course there is a diversity of instrument hardware to accomodate. Given a specifically tuned realtime kernel, I doubt “older” is a disadvantage. Moving to ubuntu based repos may have lengthened the beta. I gather the reason for moving from debian stable was due to the debian programming purists dropping Ardour. Anyway you wouldn’t want a short beta/rc like openSUSE 11.1 had, or other leading distros.

You didn’t mention what instrument/hardware you needed to support. Anyway if it all works ok with ubuntu studio, you probably stand a better chance of creating an opensuse appliance in Suse Studio.

Yes that is exactly what I did.
I now have installed openSUSE studio with the realtime kernel and KDE 4.3. My hardware is M Audio delta 1010 with breakout box and pre amps for mic and guitar. but it al works fine just had to kill pulseaudio to run qjackctl.
The kernel-rt is really fast.
With the help of packman the install is very easy for everyone.
Maybe you must give it a try yourself I am not a professional.

Congratulations, and very well done. BTW, did you use your studio H/W on Windows before?

just had to kill pulseaudio to run qjackctl.
The kernel-rt is really fast.

Hehe, pulseaudio (I think pulseaudio is a swear word over at 64 Studio). I recently installed a minimal 11.1 albeit with KDE 3.5.10 for testing; prevented pulseaudio and beagle installing anything (zypper addlock beagle* pulseaudio*; and that’s a bit quicker than a default install. Now I am out of a spare partition what with also testing 11.2 (KDE4), so can’t look at Ubuntu Studio right now. However I would like to try that minimal install with a realtime kernel, so…

With the help of packman the install is very easy for everyone.
Maybe you must give it a try yourself I am not a professional.

Where did you get the RT kernel from. Apart from downloading what do I need to do to install it? Did you get all the jack and Ardour stuff from packman? I assume I can do it without Suse Studio?

BTW I am not a professional (musician) either. That’s why I grabbed Studio 64, because they had set up jackctl along with apps to use it plus fully working settings everywhere. :slight_smile:

Just search kernel-rt here Software.openSUSE.org
Most packages I could find on opensuse studio but used packman to install fot example rakarrack. Accept the import Packman Repository for upgrades with Yast software.

Strange thing with 64studio 3 is that there is no rakarrack or guitarix delivered within the package manager.

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 21:46:01 +0000, anton wrote:

> Just search kernel-rt here ‘Software.openSUSE.org
> (http://software.opensuse.org/search) Most packages I could find on
> opensuse studio with packman I installed rakarrack. Accept the import
> Packman Repository for upgrades with Yast software.

You don’t even have to do that - if you’re using 11.1, just install the
kernel-trace packages from the OSS repository.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Moderator

consused wrote:
> anton;2035536 Wrote:
>> A better choice OS for home recording with linux.
> The question wasn’t aimed at you, but at @69_rs_ss.
>
> I gave you my reasons for 64 Studio, and for rejecting Ububtu Studio at
> the time I did my research, plus the link to a previous thread. Also,
> having looked at dyne.bolic website, I wouldn’t personally consider it,
> whatever rasta software means lol!.
>
> If you think Ubuntu studio 9.04 has improved with a realtime kernel,
> give it a spin. I suggest first you try and check the level of
> application integration, default setup, documentation, and support
> (forum) beforehand. :wink:
>
>
As anton said, a better distro for home recording. My post was before
seeing your details for Ubuntu Studio so I understand that now, but I
always heard Dyne.bolic was great for recording.

After I replied to you, I found the realtime kernel, kernel-trace, in the 11.1 oss repo, so I already installed it, and as Jim says:

It rebooted without issue and ran my normal apps well. My minimal install using the pae kernel was quick anyway so didn’t notice much difference, but probably would with music software - midi or direct instrument recording. BTW I haven’t played with Suse Studio service yet, so will press on with my minimally installed 11.1.

Found jack in the oss repo,* rosegarden* in oss and packman (more recent release level), and qsynth. Will try installing and setting those up tomorrow.

The guy in that older thread I referenced was wanting rakarrack, suse version was buggy, and was posting over in 64 Studio forum using the same handle when he installed, so you may find some answers by searching on package name or his id in their forum.

OK. That often happens to me :). No experience of Dyne.bolic, but took a look at their website. It did cater for older hardware, live-cd with install to disk, didn’t appear to use mainstream apps, and didn’t reference or support my mobo or VIA video chip in their h/w list. If anton did have to use a different distro, I thought he would be better off with mainstream, so migrating back to openSUSE would be easier having achieved a working setup, given the same apps on both.

I am not using kernel-trace but the newest kernel-rt 2.6.31
This Kernel is for high-performance / low latency applications.
And the latest rakarrack 0.3 (14-05-09)
It is not buggy his problem was qjackctl.
JACK requires the exclusive access to the sound device, and it doesn’t like
anyone else accessing the device before it.

Try to figure out which process is using the sound device by “fuser -v /dev/snd/*”
I think pulseaudio .

I do my recordings with ardour2 .

That’s good for you (and me in future). Are you saying that kernel-trace may nott hack it for say, ardour2 or rosegarden??

I need to experience kernel-trace, at least to appreciate its replacement. After a night’s sleep I can now see that it’s faster than the standard pae but not so much difference on this minimal system. Anyway, interested in any comment on its suitability. It’s handy to be able to flip the kernels via the grub menu.

And the latest rakarrack 0.3 (14-05-09)
It is not buggy his problem was qjackctl.
JACK requires the exclusive access to the sound device, and it doesn’t like
anyone else accessing the device before it.

Try to figure out which process is using the sound device by “fuser -v /dev/snd/*”
I think pulseaudio .
Interesting and doesn’t surprise me, but was only his view then, and his link to JackLab support is now dead. Thanks for the qjackctl/JACK tips. :slight_smile: If pulseaudio, it’s not installed on my minimal 11.1 system.

I remembered you needed ardour2. I wanted to play with rosegarden, since on linux that gets me back to where I was with Win95 many moons back, and I have it working on 64Studio. It reminds me of Cakewalk. After that I will try other apps you mentioned.

BTW you may/not have noticed that 64Studio 3.0 beta was/is based on ubuntu hardy (8.04) for LTS. That may be sensible given the distro (IMO, if not theirs) is aimed at professional/performance muso’s. Ubuntu Studio is on jaunty (9.04) – not LTS. If sticking to official releases then ubuntu will tend to be ahead on kernel and new device support, just by its release cycle, even against openSUSE.

Personally, in a multiboot situation with either 64Studio or Ubuntu Studio, I can tolerate gnome as the DE is insignificant compared to the audio apps. However if I can get what I need working on openSUSE by just flipping with an RT kernel, that would be more convenient and free up a spare partition for trying/testing more transient distros/releases. :wink: