Hibernate / Suspend hangs on openSUSE 11.3 KDE

hi,

I have a Toshiba A500-1F4 laptop with Windows 7 installed, I installed openSUSE 11.3 with KDE, also installed some packages like Compiz, Emerald to add some UI effects.

Now I’m experiencing some hangs after hibernate or Suspend (happens more in Suspend) the Hibernate/Suspend operation goes well the problem happens when waking the laptop up again some times it completly hangs, others it wakes up very very very slowly and responds to my inputs very very very slowly to the point I’m forced to power off the laptop and turn it on again.

any ideas about where is the problem exactly

Thanks in advance,
HanySYS

First, I would not use compiz on KDE. These days KDE comes with a lot of desktop effects, themeable window decorations etc. IME Kwin runs these much better on KDE, than the replacing “layer” of compiz. The cause could very well be in here.
Try this: disable compiz, see if behaviour persists.

Get back here with results

If you mean me to switch to Kwin, I switched ti kwin using the following command Kwin --replace and this removed the desktop effects, Now I should try some hibernates/suspends and I will see the difference.
If you know how to obtain desktop effects like those provided by compiz and emerald ?

Thanks
Hany

It would be helpful to know if you have an ATI or NVidia card and which drivers you use. Those drivers may have a problem with hibernation.

ok, I have Nvidia 330M and I installed nvidia drivers :
Vendor: nVidia Corporation
Model: GeForce GT 330M
2D driver: nvidia
3D driver: NVIDIA 256.53

I made two successful hibernates till now but if you have any comments on the driver, it would be helpful

Thanks
HanySYS

Till now there is no problems in hibernate or suspend I think it was a problem in Compiz as you said before, but you mentioned that I can have desktop effects similar to Compiz using Kwin, could you guide me to apply these effects.

Thanks,
HanySYS

Hi,

this is easy. Just go into the KDE Systemsettings and look for “Desktop effects”. In there you can enable the effects and (in the “effects” Tab) also set the effects you want. You also can set different settings for the particular effects.