Help with installing MicroOS using Vagrant/Qemu KVM & XEN

On the ‘Portal:MicroOS/Downloads’ page, I see the following download options:

Platform:
1 ISO Image
2 Qemu KVM & XEN
3 Vagrant
4 VMware

I am very familiar with the ‘ISO Image’ option, but can’t find document to help me install (particularly) options 3 and 2.

Could someone direct me to where I might find the installation guides or tell the installation processes, and (if their time allows) the advantages of using options 3 and 2 vs option 1 – which I am familiar with. Thanks.

@devteam1 Hi and welcome to the Forum :smile:
I use vagrant along with a combustion USB device attached to bring up my MicroOS instances.

There is a bug with the switch from wicked to NetworkManager so after boot I add another interface (bridge) and since I add a network connection file it comes up in less that a minute, else can always use vagrant ssh to log in…

Thanks for you quick response.

I use vagrant along with a combustion USB device attached to bring up my MicroOS instances.

(Please bear with me) I have read about combustion albeit not used it yet. Does this mean, I would have to first download combustion onto a clean USB?

There is a bug with the switch from wicked to NetworkManager
Actually I read about this just yesterday.

so after boot
Would this be into the aforementioned combustion USB to install MicroOS?

Further, does it mean that the Vagrant installation option #3 cannot be installed as one would with the ISO image #1 option?

Thanks

@devteam1 Hi, no you can just fire up a vagrant file and answer the questions etc, but it’s just a base install (JeOS). Combustion means I can just do an unattended install…

I notice the tag is MicroOS Kalpa, this would mean using the iso image for the install…

I notice the tag is MicroOS Kalpa, this would mean using the iso image for the install…

Yes, I intend to install MicroOS Kalpa. But just to be clear:
[1] I download the Vagrant or Qemu KVM & XEN option
[2] Install it on a clean server
[3] Boot the server and install the MicroOS Kalpa.

Thanks

@devteam1 I would use the iso image, fire up virt-manager and create the virtual machine…

Or if you want a base image, use the kvm-xen image and virt-manager to create, then you would need to install the necessary patterns for Kalpa…

As a matter of necessity, I really want to use Vagrant (which I understand uses libvirt, which in turn uses Qemu KVM & XEN). So, would I need to first install the MicroOS (or other opensuse OS) ISO image, and then Vagrant or the Vigrant image, followed by the ISO Image.

Thanks

@devteam1 Hi, they are mutually exclusive…

1. Use vagrant+provided box which gives you a bare-metal install, sort the network part, then you would need to use transactional-update pkg install <your long list of packages to install Kalpa (whatever they are)> and reboot.

This vagrant file will ask to configure the box as you go without combustion added;

# 
# Use libvirt for the provider
ENV['VAGRANT_DEFAULT_PROVIDER'] = 'libvirt'

# Configure the domain to use
varDomain = "your.domain"
varHost ="your_hostname"

Vagrant.configure("2") do |config|

config.vm.synced_folder ".", "/vagrant", disabled: true
   # Setup the node distribution and hostname
   config.vm.box = "opensuse/MicroOS.x86_64"
   config.vm.hostname = "#{varHost}.#{varDomain}"

# The node libvirt provisioning loop
   config.vm.provider :libvirt do |libvirt|
     libvirt.cpus = "N CPUs"
     libvirt.memory = "X RAM"
     # Add combustion disk (ID from flash drive via lsusb)
     # libvirt.usb :vendor => '0xXXXX', :product => '0xXXXX'
   end

end
  1. If you use the qcow2 download with combustion you should be able to install all the required packages, so again via virt-manager and the wizard to add the machine.

2. Use virt-manager and the full MicroOS downloaded iso image to add the machine via the wizard with the hardware options required, boot the install, configure and follow the installer to add the Plasma desktop.

Thank you very much for your help!