HELP, Suspend, Dell E6410, nVidia NVS3100M...

Hi, I am a a Linux newbie. Every second day I work a few hour on a train (on battery). Now, suspend does not work so I have to reboot at least 3 times during those days. ANNOYING.

I realize that the suspend business is a bit delicate, but I really would like to solve this issue as it would be very useful to HAVE SUSPEND WORKING AS IT SHOULD WORK

So if there is anyone out there that could point me to a guide on how to solve this issue. Or give me some tips where to start.

Help is much appreciated
Jonas

Hi, I am a a Linux newbie. Every second day I work a few hour on a train (on battery). Now, suspend does not work so I have to reboot at least 3 times during those days. ANNOYING.

I realize that the suspend business is a bit delicate, but I really would like to solve this issue as it would be very useful to HAVE SUSPEND WORKING AS IT SHOULD WORK

So if there is anyone out there that could point me to a guide on how to solve this issue. Or give me some tips where to start.

Help is much appreciated
Jonas
tjoflong, you need to tell us your versions of software to be helpful to you:

1. openSUSE version and 32/64 bit
  2. KDE or Gnome Desktop Version
  3. Video Driver Version and if Default or updated after the install (like loading the nVidia binary driver).
  4. Disk Partition Setup (As root run the terminal command fdisk -l)

OK, suspend does work with openSUSE, but it is dependent on your hardware setup and even making sure of your disk setup like the SWAP file location and size. For instance, I have not always been able to get desktops to suspend, but my work Dell Laptop with Intel video and default video driver works just fine. I did upgrade the xorg files as well, something that did not work for me on a system with an nVidia card.

I feel that nVidia makes very good, fast and reliable video chipsets, but, getting the best performance and compatibility requires loading their proprietary binary driver. This may also be true for properly suspending to work.

Thank You,

On 2010-12-17 23:36, tjoflong wrote:

> So if there is anyone out there that could point me to a guide on how
> to solve this issue. Or give me some tips where to start.

There is a wiki page on this, opensuse.org. Search for it.

Recommendation: disable splash. How? Search this forum, I told how recently
twice.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

tjoflong, here is a link you could look at. It can be troublesome for certain people to look this stuff up for others to use I know.

Hibernate fails 11.3 64bit

The information provided looks useful so give it a read.

Thank You,

Thanks alot for the replies and suggestions

jdmcdaniel3:
These are (some of) my specs

1. openSUSE version 64 bit

2. Gnome Desktop

3. Video Driver Version. I got help with this one, since there initially was some difficulties to get anything on the screen. I manage the settings for my Nvidia through the “Nvidia X Server Settings” application. The version of my driver is 256.53

4. Disk Partition Setup:
    Disk /dev/sda: 128.0 GB, 128035676160 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 15566 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x04e91057

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 5 40131 de Dell Utility
    /dev/sda2 * 6 15567 124993536 f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 6 267 2102272 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda6 268 2879 20972544 83 Linux
    /dev/sda7 2879 15566 101907456 83 Linux

I will disable splash and try it our. And also thanks for the link!

This will happen ASAP, but now it is time for some “hectic dead line working before the holidays”. I’ll check in and give you an update!

And again, thanks alot for your help, I really appreciate it!

Disk /dev/sda: 128.0 GB, 128035676160 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 15566 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x04e91057

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1           5       40131   de  Dell Utility
/dev/sda2   *           6       15567   124993536    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5               6         267     2102272   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6             268        2879    20972544   83  Linux
/dev/sda7            2879       15566   101907456   83  Linux

I will disable splash and try it our. And also thanks for the link!

This will happen ASAP, but now it is time for some "hectic dead line  working before the holidays". I'll check in and give you an update!

And again, thanks alot for your help, I really appreciate it!                 

That’s just fine tjoflong as this is a very busy time of the year for anyone that celebrates christmas. Even more exciting for our family, my daughter just got married this weekend. I do hope I am done for a while spending money I don’t yet have. lol!

As for your disk setup, it is kind of odd, to have one small restore partition and then the entire rest of the disk is contained within a large Logical partition. We have a util here called findgrub, a script file, that might be interesting to run and show us just what it says. Message #59 contains the most recent version.

Looking for Grub and Windows bootloader in all partitions.

By the way, you never really said what version of openSUSE that you are using. For instance, I am using openSUSE 11.3.

Thank You,