HELP Required..

Hi,
I’m new.
And I’m havin a couple of issues.
Not sure if this is the place to post, couldn’t find a better match than “applications”.
My issues:-

1> How do I do a “C: > DEFRAG C:” in linux?

2> How do I configure Linux to make system restore points automatically every day and before critical system changes (like vista does)?

3>How do I get write access on NTFS (without mounting every time, I don’t know nothing about the script-like linux language, is that called a language? Anyway, if the solution requires me to write scripts, I’d need help with the code)

Any help would be highly valued.
Thank you, in advance…

MJ dead, too bad :frowning:

1.) As far as I know, there is no real benefit or need to defragment a linux partition. Windows and linux use different filesystems.

2.) Don’t know, other than to back up often.

3.) we’ll need to know what your fstab consists of.

Please hit alt+f2 then type:

kwrite /etc/fstab

if you’re using kde

or

gedit /etc/fstab

if you’re using gnome

and copy and paste the contents of that file onto here.

Take Care,

Ian

NTFS file systems need Windows tools to perform tasks like defragging.

Have a read of this guide:

HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE 10, 11

digital cow wrote:
> Hi,
> I’m new.
> And I’m havin a couple of issues.
> Not sure if this is the place to post, couldn’t find a better match
> than “applications”.
> My issues:-
>
> 1> How do I do a “C: > DEFRAG C:” in linux?

In reiserfs, probably never needed. Not sure I’ve ever seen more than 9% frag with that even over 8 years of operation. Ext2 and variants do get
fragmented, but not like NTFS. You might see upwards of 20%+ after many many years of operation with ext2/3 and friends.

Again, in general, it’s just not needed, not like NFTS or other Windows filesystems.

But if you must… you can hunt for a program called “defrag” for ext2.

Are you seeing a lot of fragmentation?.. oh… I bet you’re talking about NTFS (reads rest of message)…
I would say “no” and I’d say you probably want to only defrag NTFS using something under Windows.

>
> 2> How do I configure Linux to make system restore points automatically
> every day and before critical system changes (like vista does)?

There’s not really an equivalent for this. With that said, filesystems under LVM can be snapshotted. It’s not the same thing, but might satisfy your
needs.

>
> 3>How do I get write access on NTFS (without mounting every time, I
> don’t know nothing about the script-like linux language, is that called
> a language? Anyway, if the solution requires me to write scripts, I’d
> need help with the code)

Mount options are the key. That is, if you want it mounted rw all of the time. While NTFS writing has been proclaimed as “working”, you are still
very much taking chances by writing to it (let’s say it probably works 99% of the time… it’s that 1% that’ll kill you).

Read the following to figure out how to enable write by default for normal users:
http://en.opensuse.org/NTFS

Hope that helps a bit,
Chris