Help needed setting up Epson Stylus SX420W printer/scanner

OK …

In /usr/share/cups/model/ I don’t have a 0-driverppds folder …

But if I look in /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/ppds I do see a folder called epson which contains the file Epson-Stylus_SX420W-epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.ppd.gz

But …

Using the CUPS web interface, I am not able to browse in root - permission denied.

Then I tried via YaST. There I can browse root - but I only see the folders bin and inst-sys … And I can only look for Files of type *.ppd or *.ppd.gz …

So I’m stuck again, it seems.

When you select ‘Add Printer’ (or any other admin task), you should be prompted to type ‘root’ for the username, and your root password too. From there, it should be possible to browse to the required file.

You could try linking the /opt/epson-inkjet… /Epson/ directoryto a new (ppds) directory within /usr/share/model/ with the following:

su -

to become root, then these commands

mkdir /usr/share/cups/model/ppds/
ln -s /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/ppds/Epson/ /usr/share/cups/model/ppds/

Now, the required model should be available in the list when you select ‘Epson’ via CUPS.

That is the crux of the problem (with the 64-bit package I guess), in that this doesn’t happen at install time as it did for me with my 32-bit OS.

I have found a driver called ‘epson-inkjet-printer-nx420-1.0.0-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm’, which I guess is right for my Intel Core i5-system on the Avasys-site that Epson refers to for Linux drivers.

I have downloaded the driver and installed it via Right-Click -> Open With -> Install/Remove Software, which seemed to go well.

When I open Yast -> Hardware -> Printer -> Add, my printer is found all right, but ‘No matching driver found’.

BTW, going right back to the first driver you installed, you could move the ppd.gz file it installed (/opt/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/ppds/Epson/Epson-Stylus_SX420W_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz
) to the /usr/share/cups/model/ directory (same approach as above), and that you can then select it with via the web interface. (It will provide the best printing quality for your printer).

You have to break dependencies, after that it worked for me with another epson printer and packpage (but it needs these depedencies too).
To break dependencies:

1. Open terminal and get into the .rpm’s directory
  2. Type this command
rpm -ivh --nodeps name.rpm

Sorry double post…

I have this printer and hours of trying got me nowhere - just seen your posting and:-

“you could move the ppd.gz file it installed (/opt/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/ppds/Epson/Epson-Stylus_SX420W_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz
to the /usr/share/cups/model/ directory (same approach as above), and that you can then select it with via the web interface”

works perfectly.

Thanks a million

I’m happy to have been of help :slight_smile:

The model number Epson Stylus SX420W.

Method 1:
You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter:

Epson Support - Drivers, FAQs, Troubleshooting, Technical Support, Documents & Manuals for Epson Products - Epson America, Inc.
Method 2:
You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check.

Epson SX420W Driver

I’ve already helped with the resolution of this thread, and the links that you provided are irrelevant for Linux users. (Avasys provide the Linux drivers).