Help Me To Cofigure A Sony Ericsson Mobile As A Modem!

Hi!
I’ve two Sony Ericsson mobiles K750i and K600i! I want to configure it as a modem in Suse 11.0! Please help me!
I’m doing net from these mobiles in Win XP! How to configure it in Linux? :open_mouth:

in XP are you connecting to the phone(s) with Bluetooth, or what?

there is a Bluetooth package for openSUSE, in YaST…

platinum

If you’re using Gnome, just use the Network Manager NM applet in the Panel. It has a section for Mobile Broadband.

KDE’s NM is not as good and won’t play. If using KDE you can configure for wireless bband modem in Yast – Network Devices –> Modem using a few twists and turns along the lines of these experiences:
Wireless HSDPA broadband in Suse/openSUSE Using Nokia 6120 Mobile Phone as Modem on Three Mobile Australia
Wireless broadband in Suse/openSUSE for Bigpond Next G Network (HSDPA-enabled bp3-usb)

If you’re using Gnome, just use the Network Manager NM applet in the Panel. It has a section for Mobile Broadband.

KDE’s NM is not as good and won’t play.

@swerdna: This is nice to know (re functionality differences), as I don’t have recent experience with Gnome. I guess the OP could install the Gnome version (along with any required dependent Gnome libraries etc)?

I can connect my laptop which runs suse 11.1 on kde 4.1 with a nokia n79 phone using network manager, that’s using the usb cable that came with the phone though, not bluetooth

Basically NM detected the phone as a modem, went into edit connections, selected the phone and just clicked ok to everything

Works fine

Don’t know about suse 11.0 though, I’ll try it on a suse 11 kde 3.5 pc I have at home later

That’s quite likely an option, although I don’t know whether the NM applet from Gnome would appear in the KDE “Panel”, however one can make an application launcehr for Gnome’s NM and place it in the KDE “Panel”.

Great to know – continual progress in KDE it seems.