help in torrent client with proxy server

Dear friends,

I am new to linux and that to opensuse 11.0.I have a proxy server running in my college and i am intending to use a torrent client.I have tried to use to ktorrent,azureus,deluge.

By using azureus i get the following in terminal :-

using MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9b5 and MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/browser-plugins
GRE/XULRunner automatically found
java virtual machine used: /usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java
classpath used: /usr/share/java/Azureus/Azureus3.jar:/usr/share/java/Azureus/swt.jar
main class used: org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main
flags used: 
options used: -Xms16m -Xmx128m -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib64/Azureus:/usr/lib/Azureus -Dazureus.install.path=/var/lib/Azureus -Dazureus.script.version=2 -Dazureus.script=/usr/bin/azureus
arguments used: 
file:/usr/share/java/Azureus/Azureus3.jar ; file:/usr/share/java/Azureus/swt-3.5-I20080702-0939.jar ; file:/home/harsha/

Using deluge …it works fine for a moment saying it’s getting connected or some authentication required…and later crashes…

And finally i don’t know how to go forward with ktorrent…

Please help me in running a torrent client successfully with a proxy server…

With regards

Please somebody…reply…
Tell me how to run a torrent client with a proxy server…
Please

With regards

I’m not aware of any way this can be done. I did a quick search and this seems to be an unanswered question. But if you find anything, I’d be interested just because I’m curious.

Since torrent relies on the client opening ports to allow sharing, and if you are behind a proxy, then by definition you do not have direct access to the Internet, so a torrent couldn’t work in the normal way through a proxy.

HTTPS proxies allow tunneling a TCP connection through the proxy but this isn’t the same as listening for a connection from peers. So if torrent were to work through a tunneling proxy it would have to be a modified protocol and other clients would have to know how to handle this. Alternatively there would have to be a proxy protocol designed and implemented for torrents. I don’t imagine sysadmins would be eager to install such a thing even if it were to be created.

I agree with ken yap.

What you are trying to achieve seems to defeat the whole object of bittorrent. I can only assume you have some particular reason for tying to accomplish what you suggest. Might it be related to some restrictions on your use of the internet imposed by the College?
Wouldn’t it be simpler and more effective to use standard http or ftp if you can’t use bittorrent/p2p? Though I suspect you have some reason for not doing that anyway!?

Some people are using Songbird Media Player
to grab music - if that is what you are after.
It uses http, I’m sure.

Thanks for all your replies…
Actually i was told by my friend ( who is using ubuntu ) to run torrent and he knows how to run it …properly…
He is using Azureus + a proxifier ( named afbp ) and also deluge…
I am really wanting to run torrent using any of these in suse …but i have a problem with both of them

Vuze is opening neither from the terminal nor from directly …and deluge is getting crashed…

harsha@ruby-linux:~> vuze 
using MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9b5 and MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/browser-plugins
GRE/XULRunner automatically found
java virtual machine used: /usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java
classpath used: /usr/share/java/Azureus/Azureus3.jar:/usr/share/java/Azureus/swt.jar
main class used: org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main
flags used: 
options used: -Xms16m -Xmx128m -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib64/Azureus:/usr/lib/Azureus -Dazureus.install.path=/var/lib/Azureus -Dazureus.script.version=2 -Dazureus.script=/usr/bin/vuze
arguments used: 
file:/usr/share/java/Azureus/Azureus3.jar ; file:/usr/share/java/Azureus/swt-3.5-I20080702-0939.jar ; file:/home/harsha/

[code/]

Please help me regarding this ...
waiting for reply..