Help Desparately Needed

I was trying to download an update to service pack 3 to the kernel through my fax modem (hot wired to the wife’s ipod via some no no-name brand mp3 player) when plugging in the robot vacuum cleaner caused an electrical surge on the router power supply zapping the monitor with radio waves, resulting in a wave pattern that deleted the menu.lst and added 15 new hard drives in the fstab, not to mention replacing user /home/oldcpu with /home/friedcpu.

Fortunately I can still log in as user root like I always do.

Then updating cups / java did not seem to help as I had a kaffeine freeze.

I also don’t see a system icon in my KDE plasma making me think my PC caught a Mac-OS/X virus (due to ipod connection noted above) ? How can I clean it?

Also, can anyone explain how to mount my backup mouse and redundant digital camera in run level -42 so that I can restore my system from a cheese video I took last week, and at the same time restore /home/againcpu ? hmmm … not sure if I have the backup codecs installed though, … I checked thru my 492 repositories which include every Red Hat and Mandrake version since 1.0 (this check took a long time by the way) and inexplicably there are a significant number of dependency errors related to this not being an openSUSE install ? How can that be? Any ideas ?

CP/M-1.0 was so much easier and more stable. … at least sound still works thou !

Thanks again for any and all help, and don’t forget I can be a noob at times :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi friedcpu
First off as your rooted user can you please post the output from;

zypper -lr -aprilfirst -d

Sounds to me like your plasma widgets have transmogrified to gnome
desklets this can happen if you have more than 491 repositories enabled
(I know you always have in excess of that because that’s the only
way to get the fax/ipod working :wink: )

Hopefully you have backup 5.25 " disks for your operating system (you do
have backups don’t you?) so you can re-install

You need to boot from the first floppy and run;

frieddisk /mbr

At least the sound still works, so not all is lost. All I can say is
good luck in your endeavors, but if your still having problems check
here;
http://tinyurl.com/ygaedhw

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
up 3 days 1:23, 3 users, load average: 0.20, 0.26, 0.32
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.53

Have you been smoking something besides the router PS? :smiley:

Edit: April’s fool… Here it’s still March 31.

lol!!

Now that you mention it, we did have some 5.25 " disk in storage in the Keller. So I went down to the Keller to pick them up, and I saw a large sludge hammer, and I had an absolutely brilliant idea that a quick blow from that would deal with my reticent Linux better than any thing else, and would permanently put Linux out of its misery.

Unfortunately, when I went to lift up the hammer, I pulled my back and was lying there on the Keller floor with a painful back. Fate very briefly smiled on me, because the attractive lass from next door happened to come down to keller, she took pity on me and started helping me up the stairs.

I say fate smiled only briefly, because my wife happened to show up at that very second, saw me with the arms wrapped around me by someone else who is pretty attractive, and when I started to explain I pulled my back out of joint when going down to the Keller to pick up floppy disks she did not believe me! She then blackened both my eyes and laid me flat on the floor again.

… < sigh > so it may be a few days before I can try to transfer the cheese video to the back floppy disks, … and apparently the sludge hammer option is out because of the sore back disks.

But thx again for the advice.

p.s. These floppies are a bit bigger than the 3.5" drive in my current PC. It is possible to fold them prior to insertion, is it not?

Does smoke work on black eyes?

lol ! … or the early bird catches the worm, … except here where the plasma caught the ipod worm. :stuck_out_tongue:

OP: Soapbox is not for posting help questions as most helpers do not frequent here expecting to help. Since you are a moderator, cud u pls move this thread to the correct help forum … Oh nuts! I’ll help u out a bit. I’ll open a new session of the forum on desktop two and open the install and hardware and networking forums there then I’ll move this session from desktop one to desktop two for you. Then maybe you will get the help you r looking for.rotfl!

oldcpu wrote:
> Thanks again for any and all help, and don’t forget I can be a noob at
> times :stuck_out_tongue:

my my…it is about time you fessed up and faced your
techno-fragility…so, your days of superiority in things sound and
fury are over!! 'bout time.

from your posting i conclude you need to go back to CP/M on an Atari,
and live out your years there…

and, please pass me one (or three) of what you had…

palladium

Sure will … but I only can access these once/year on this particular morning in the calendar in spring. :slight_smile:

This is the soapbox ? ??

Hmm … maybe a bit of foresight there, as I had to pull an extra bar of soap out of the box in order to wash away the grime from two unexpected visits to the floor. :cry:

Most appreciated ! rotfl!

@oldcpu…I was trying to download an update to service pack 3 to the kernel through my fax modem (hot wired to the wife’s ipod via some no no-name brand mp3 player) when plugging in the robot vacuum cleaner caused an electrical surge on the router power supply zapping the monitor with radio waves, resulting in a wave pattern that deleted the menu.lst and added 15 new hard drives in the fstab, not to mention replacing user /home/oldcpu with /home/friedcpu.

I think maybe you have a loose Gnome inside your box and it’s been trampling the heck out of anything with the letter K attached to it.lol!

I think he should rethink his choice of using anything that sucks alongside or in the neighborhood of his slick OS.>:)

caf4926 wrote:
>
> I think maybe you have a loose Gnome inside your box and it’s been
> trampling the heck out of anything with the letter K attached to it.lol!

while you have the cover off, see if you find the nest of a yellow
rabbit therein…

might find a googol <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googol> of brightly
colored rabbit eggs…

an easy to find until…hmmmm, when do they get delivered to all those
rabbit egg hunt parties?

palladium

Happy April Fools to you to! :slight_smile:

There’s your problem, kaffeine always freezes when you use decaf.
Just use ordinary coffee, or if you don’t like coffee, use coke - it also works fine. Some people have even reported that Red Bull works for them as well.

Now that april 1st is over I would like to promote that oldcpu’s original Post #1 here is turned into a “HOWTO NOT post problems to the Forums”.

IMHO it containts most of the symptoms a failed problem report may ever have. Years of handling these sort posts brought oldcpu to a brilliant compilation. It would be sad if it was lost to our community.

In this case it’s a good thing you have that sludge hammer.

Hows that ? … it puts me on the path to divorce ? >:) rotfl! rotfl!

< I’m joking of course >

A sledge hammer I do know, but a sludge hammer? Ewww. rotfl!

Sludge is what is left of the computer after the sledge hammer hits it. … :stuck_out_tongue: ergo … a sludge hammer. :slight_smile: