Hardware volume control

Hello everyone,

I’m really hoping someone can help me out with this, as it would make my life so much easier. I have an HP dv6000 series (dv6171cl), and above the keyboard there is a set of touch-sensitive media control buttons. I don’t really care about any of them, except the volume controls. When I’m playing games or doing anything in fullscreen, it would be very nice to have external control over the main volume. However, I can’t seem to find anything that works to get them working. All I know is that when I press them from inside opensuse 11.0 they beep like normal, but nothing happens. I’ve also noticed that the mute button changes colors when I shut down the computer, which leads me to believe they’re being recognized in some manner.

Has anyone encountered this issue before, or have any ideas for me? I really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Joshua

PS This is purely for entertainment, but does anyone know of a simple solution to get the little slim HP remote control working in opensuse 11.0 too? Thanks again!

Hello.
This is just a suggestion: have you tried KDE 3.x? I hope you’re not using 64-bit edition? The old and proven 32-bit linux with the old and proven KDE 3.x should recognize your hardware correctly and set up your volume buttons accordingly. If not, then maybe there’s just some additional stuff missing which you should install from the repositories. Other than that… Sorry if this isn’t of any help, but I’m a linux newbie myself.:frowning: