Grub+ ${extra_cmdline}

It looks to me that this variable is where you would add your own command line options but I don’t know where you would set it if that’s the case. Does any know if this is how you would add your own parameters and if so, where would you set it? I.e.: what file where in the file system?

And if not, then what is the best way to add parameters on the boot command line. I don’t want to just edit the grub.cfg file only lose my settings the next time it’s updated by the system.

You can modify the boot command line in /etc/default/grub, GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT for normal boot and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_RECOVERY for recovery mode.
Or just use YaST->System->Boot Loader.

No. This variable was intrduced to support boot from btrfs snapshots. Name is far too generic, unfortunately.

@wolfi323 - thanks!

@arvidjaar - no kidding! That variable just says “this is for the user to add their own stuff” so that totally surprised me to find out it had an internal purpose. Thanks!

I don’t have btrfs, and I don’t see that “extra_cmdline” anywhere. So that’s consistent with what avidjaar posted.

Also, I’m pretty sure that arvidjaar is one of the maintainers of grub2 for opensuse, so he is usually correct on such questions.