GRUB configuration: timeout value

My /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse directory has only an .efi file–there’s no config file. So how do I change the timeout value? (i.e. the number of seconds before the default boot option is selected)

Thank you.

If you used the default grub-efi, you can go to YAST > Bootloader > Bootloader Options and change it graphically. The EFI files are only for booting in a UEFI environment. Grub controls what you see in the openSUSE grub screen.

Perfect. Thank you.

Out of curiosity, in which directory is the associated config file?

Also, I see that there isn’t a “mark as solved” option. Does this forum not use that?

If you open /etc/default/grub , look for the line GRUB_TIMEOUT=. I think the default was 10 after the fresh install. I changed it to 3, but you can change it to anything you like. BUT, as was mentioned by 67GTA, “you can go to YAST > Bootloader > Bootloader Options and change it graphically”. I’m still pretty new to openSUSE, so, I’m discovering some nice shortcuts, and, using Yast to change the timeout was new to me. **** I like this distro.

If you do make changes manually, without using Yast, you’ll have to use ‘grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg’ afterwards to update grub.cfg.

Other areas of interest when investigating grub are /etc/grub.d (Where the various helper scripts for grub are kept), and, of course, /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. Changes made solely to grub.cfg are overwritten whenever you run grub2-mkconfig.

Edit: I don’t see a solved button, but, you can certainly edit the title on the original post and add [Solved] to it.

We do not mark threads as solved.

As an OP your are invited to tell in a post that you are satisfied with an answer, that you managed to repair (and how, for the benifit of others), etc.

Others may nevertheless feel need to add more information, etc. The thread belongs to the community.

Yup. I made mine 2.

Aha. So that’s reason enough for me to just use yast as it seems cleaner.

I see.