Grub boot options.

I have spent a half hour searching Google for this and I can’t find anything.

Is there a website that covers Grub boot options?

I changed the boot splash and changed splash=verbose and removed quiet from the grub list and it did not give me the expected results. I want the system to boot like I hit Esc on the stock boot splash. However, splash=verbose doesn’t show hardly anything and removing quiet makes everything show up. I am looking for something in the middle.

I was hopping to find a site that deals with just the Grub options and what they are for. Example: quiet, showopts, splash=?, etc.

Basically the look I want is a bootsplash that looks just like it does if you hit Esc during normal boot up. I thought that’s what splash=verbose was for but apparently not. All verbose showed was mounting and umounting drives. I’m looking for the basic OK ] or [failed] lines.

This is not a Grub option but a kernel parameter. Try splash=silent or just remove it.

I tried splash=silent, that shows the overlay picture and you have to hit Esc to see the boot messages. I want to just see the boot messages without hitting Esc.

Then just remove the ‘splash’ parameter.

Removing the splash parameter looks exactly like splash=verbose.

I even looked at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt and splash=?, quiet, and showopts are not even listed as options. Is there maybe a list of secret options, lol.

I hope you have made a copy of the original file?

What happens if you remove splash=silent quiet vga=***

If you use kde

info:grub

in konqueror is useful

You can set

SPLASH="no"

in /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash and rebuild initrd … or you can do it in YaST - it should automatically run mkinitrd.

but is this such a big deal to press ESC?

• or you can try to use “nosplash”, but I don’t know if this option still works.

splash is included in the initial ramdisk (not an hidden kernel parameter).

# lsinitrd -l /boot/initrd | grep -i splash

It has nothing to do with Grub. Grub has done its job when the kernel is loading.

(Just spent 10 minuets typing out a reply and hit post and it disappeared. Now starting over I guess:’()

I removed splash=silent and its the equivalent of splash=verbose.

I removed quiet and it pukes out every terminal message not just the important stuff and OK ], FAIL].

I have not removed vga because I didn’t think it was relevant.

And I do have a back up of my menu.lst.

I just set splash back to silent and rebooted. When I hit Esc it looks exactly how I want it to but I don’t want to have to hit Esc, I want it just to boot that way.

(Copying message before posting this time :sarcastic:)

:open_mouth: - Just saw the [Restore Auto-Saved Content] button. lol

I don’t want to remove the bootsplash completely because I made a cool background for it. I just don’t want the “quiet” bootsplash. I want the nerdy one ;).

Hitting Esc really isn’t a big deal, I just don’t want to and I know its possible because I have seen people do it.

Also I did run mkinitrd and it had no effect. That’s really only relevant when modifying the bootsplash screen I thought.

It’s normal here. … Well, I mean “usual”, not “normal”.

Yes of course, after changing that or anything else. See if “nosplash” works (?).

Nope.

nosplash is the same as splash=verbose

how was I suppose to enter it. I just typed nosplash. should it be splash=nosplash?

Just tried splash=nosplash and its the same as splash=verbose but it also takes away the bootsplash theme.

(Just spent 10 minuets typing out a reply and hit post and it disappeared. Now starting over I guess:’()

There are issues with the forum ATM, ongoing but being attended to. And the forum software is due to be updated (Monday, 7th I think)

I just changed it back to the way I had it with splash=verbose and removed quiet.

This is the closest so far to what I am looking for but it would be nicer with just important messages rather then the entire console log. I wonder if SUSE is doing some voodoo with the Esc key to just show important messages. From the reading I have done on this subject tonight it seams that SUSE is one of the only distros that lets you hit Esc during a silent bootsplash.

Edit: Also many server guys are filtering messages during the bootsplash by terminal. Normal boot I think is on tty1 but the logs are on tty7 or something like that. Or maybe its the other way around.

OK I figured it out. I found this info on the Arch wiki. I love Arch, those people think just like me.

This is how you do it if anyone is interested.

splash=verbose console=tty1 loglevel=6

Remove quiet altogether. This still shows a little more then I would like but I may lower the loglevel again to see if that helps.

Here is a link that talks about loglevel’s. Logging data

EDIT: I tried editing my original post with solved in the subject but it will not let me edit it.

loglevel=3 is the one I ended up deciding on. Its really close to just hitting Esc on the stock bootsplash.

Thanks guys for your help, I really appreciate it.

On 2012-05-02 05:46, vdub12 wrote:
>
> Removing the splash parameter looks exactly like splash=verbose.

That’s the one to get the messages, but in 12.1 verbose is very little
verbose. For systemd you also have to add “systemd.log_level=debug
systemd.log_target=kmsg”, and that would be documented in systemd
documentation. Plus, most of the text go to the log, not the display.

> I even looked at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt and
> splash=?, quiet, and showopts are not even listed as options. Is there
> maybe a list of secret options, lol.

No. Grep the directory, it will be somewhere.

showopts is actually a grub token, not a kernel one :slight_smile:
And splash might be a init token, not the kernel.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On 2012-05-02 07:36, vdub12 wrote:
>
> loglevel=3 is the one I ended up deciding on. Its really close to just
> hitting Esc on the stock bootsplash.

Interesting. Let me try… Wow! I love it! :smiley:

There is only one snag: it gets erased when the tty activates. In systemv
mode there was a difference to the definition of that terminal so that it
didn’t erase:

/etc/inittab:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

Have you seen anything to do that now? O:-)

If not, I can ask in the mail list.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2012-05-02 06:16, please try again wrote:
>
> vdub12;2459848 Wrote:
>> _(JUST_SPENT_10_MINUETS_TYPING_OUT_A_REPLY_AND_HIT_POST_AND_IT_DISAPPEARED.NOW_STARTING_OVER_I_GUESS:’()
>>
>
> It’s normal here. … Well, I mean “usual”, not “normal”.

In statistics, normal means that what happens oftener. So yes, it is normal :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.