Green screen of Death

Hello all,this problem has been occurring ever since I’ve installed suse, out of nowhere my entire screen turns (most of the time) green with little yellow lines running vertically down the screen about a half an inch apart I’ve checked the logs and cant find any errors and theres no pattern to the madness either it happens on average about once a week, I have a feeling that it’s a graphics card issue but have yet to find anything to indicate this (I’m using an ati proprietary driver version 8.661) if anyone can try to lead me in the right direction this would be great Thanks

Did you also check .xsession-errors in the user’s homedir ? Sure this is a graphics issue, don’t know what. It could even be a broken piece of hardware on the card.

I’ve seen this a couple of times, years back. It was due to failing video card, probably it’s memory.

If you’re using integrated (on-board) graphics, it might be worth to run memcheck on your machine.

Overheating maybe?

Try setting a lower sync speed for the monitor.

How do I go about lowering the monitor sync speed? and I’m on a laptop so I assume that it’s integrated…right? and it wouldn’t surprise me if the graphics card is junk when I bought the computer the power input was loose have yet to sent it back to hp for repair…though if I do in fact have a faulty card I WILL be sending it back asap…how do I go about checking this all out? Thanks

Boot a live cd or two, do any of them boot to a desktop?

Change the frequency by either going to yast2>hardware>graphics card or from the desktop display applet.

@caf yes live cd’s boot up just fine (without the eyecandy of course) I always use a live cd before an install. I just need to do a memcheck and lower the sync speed and see if that solves the problem…I’ve installed memcheck, now this may seem like a dumb question but how do I run it I’ve typed memcheck in the terminal with no results. Thanks

also I’m on suse 11.2 and I don’t see a graphics card option under yast control center>hardware

threatingbehaviour wrote:
> I’ve installed memcheck, now this may seem like a dumb question but
> how do I run it I’ve typed memcheck in the terminal with no
> results.

to test all memory it need full access to all the RAM so, therefore it
can’t be run from inside a running system…

so boot from the CD, select “Memory Test” (last on the list i
think) and, let it run 12 hours, at least…

really, it makes full passes through the RAM writing and then
verifying the correct thing was written to each spot, than passes
through again writing something else…it take MANY passes until
there is a very high confidence that the RAM is good, everywhere and
every way…

any errors are too many…if you have been messin with the clock
speed or voltages you may need to fall back to what the maker recommends…

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Sorry, used to sled11.
Go to control center>hardware>display. That’s where it’s moved to. Gnome gives you a display applet on the taskbar.
If it doesn’t list any modes there, switch to runlevel 3 (su init 3 from a terminal). Login and run sax2 as root and configure it there.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:26:01 GMT, threatingbehaviour
<threatingbehaviour@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>Hello all,this problem has been occurring ever since I’ve installed
>suse, out of nowhere my entire screen turns (most of the time) green
>with little yellow lines running vertically down the screen about a half
>an inch apart I’ve checked the logs and cant find any errors and theres
>no pattern to the madness either it happens on average about once a
>week, I have a feeling that it’s a graphics card issue but have yet to
>find anything to indicate this (I’m using an ati proprietary driver
>version 8.661) if anyone can try to lead me in the right direction this
>would be great Thanks

Try cleaning ALL your air filters, fans, heat sinks, cooling devices, and
all other things that collect dust, particularly on your display adapter
(video card). A clean machine is a cooler machine.

Thanks all I will try all these things out and report back…I know the system is running cool I have gkrellm and temps are (under a normal load) about 142F just don’t really understand at all why laptop manufacturers don’t allow access to the fan vents and such via a clip on sections in the shell, its something that needs removed about 4 times a year to clean, so it only seems logical…oh well who knows, Thanks for all your help

also @whych I still don’t see that option heres a pic of my hardware control center section http://s1.postimage.org/QM7O9.jpg](http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxQM7O9)

The display edit is missing in 11.2
Type in the kickoff search field ‘sax2’ no quotes
Launch sax2