Graphics repository 12.1

Wondering if I can get some guidance from you guys…
I’ve completed a clean install for openSUSE 12.1 x64 which went well until I started to use the Graphics and Photo repositories.

The reason for using these repositories in the past is that the rpms are usually more up to date and found them to be reliable builds.
These are the two main apps I wanted to update and/or install.

1. update Hugin
  2. install Rawstudio

YAST gives the following warning for Hugin; nothing provides libexiv2.so.9()(64bit) needed by Hugin 2011.2.0-28.3 and
the same error for Rawstudio.

I have the following repositories enabled:

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI

—±-----------------------------------±----------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | KDE:/Distro:/Stable | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Stable | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Distro:/Stable/openSUSE_12.1
2 | Opensuse_Graphics | openSUSE BuildService - Graphics | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/graphics/openSUSE_12.1
3 | Updates-for-openSUSE-12.1-12.1-1.4 | Updates for openSUSE 12.1 12.1-1.4 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/12.1
4 | download.nvidia.com-opensuse | nVidia Graphics Drivers | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/12.1/
5 | download.opensuse.org-Extra | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Extra | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_12.1
6 | download.opensuse.org-Stable | openSUSE BuildService - LibreOffice | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/LibreOffice:/Stable/openSUSE_12.1
7 | download.opensuse.org-UpdatedApps | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:UpdatedApps | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/UpdatedApps/openSUSE_12.1
8 | google-talkplugin | google-talkplugin | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/rpm/stable/x86_64
9 | hardware | hardware | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/hardware/openSUSE_12.1
10 | openSUSE-12.1-12.1-1.4 | openSUSE-12.1-12.1-1.4 | No | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Optiarc_BD_ROM_BC-5500S,/dev/sr0
11 | openSUSE_BuildService_-_Photo | openSUSE BuildService - Photo | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/multimedia:/photo/openSUSE_12.1
12 | opensuse-guide.org-repo | libdvdcss repository | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/12.1/
13 | packman.inode.at-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/12.1/
14 | repo-debug | openSUSE-12.1-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/12.1/repo/oss
15 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-12.1-Update-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/update/12.1
16 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-12.1-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/12.1/repo/non-oss
17 | repo-oss | openSUSE-12.1-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/12.1/repo/oss
18 | repo-source | openSUSE-12.1-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/12.1/repo/oss

Your assistance will be appreciated, thank you.

Two problems with that approach is the rpms while possibly more up to date, typically have far less testing, which mean they could be unstable, and/or they could have dependency problems. In essence this could be the problem you encountered.

I think the libexiv2 that comes with openSUSE-12.1 is MUCH newer. ie /usr/lib64/libexiv2.so.11 and not libexiv2.so.9()(64bit)

ie those apps as packaged are asking you to downgrade your libexiv2, where your goal is often to upgrade. Possibly the rpm packagers did not test a clean install of their rpms.

You may need to find out (somehow) who the packagers are and contact them.

Thank you for that point. I didn’t even notice that last point. I’ll be doing some digging to find out who the packager is and post an update on the outcome.

And please next time you post computer output like your repos listing above, do not make it small (and thus worse to read), but between CODE tags (to conserve the column layout): http://forums.opensuse.org/english/information-new-users/advanced-how-faq-read-only/451526-posting-code-tags-guide.html