Graphics display worked fine till this mornings package install. . .

I’m using a Gateway laptop with an Intel 965GM video chipset. Up to this morning everything was working fine until I download some new packages. One of these packages has corrupted my video screen. The graphics display is 1280 X 800 16:10 aspect ratio. This is correct. What has happened with Gnome is that the spacing and sizes of all app menu Icon’s have increased in size and spacing on the screen. The dash (left-hand) menu bar now has become useless because the icon size of this menu bar has had half of it disappear off the screen. This icon bar too has been magnified in size. The screen begins to flicker wildly when you have zoom out on the desktop to reveal all of your virtual desktop area’s on the right side of the screen. I don’t know what program file has caused all of this but after running gnome till now was a great experience. This all happened this morning after downloading files. For the most part I though I had most of everything on here that I could put on a laptop but thought I’d make another go around of the software and see if anything could be added that might be of help and was missing. Some file has corrupted the system. Hope someone is smart enough to catch this problem and fix it. I’m probably going to have to reinstall the whole system or put something else on in place of this OS. Any help would be appreciated. This experience really sucks.

Richard>:(

There have been no Intel GPU updates in the official 13.1 repo since last year so the “some packages” is a bit vague.

Do you have the ability to post the result of a few commands from the affected system?

If so, please post the result of;
zypper lr -d
and
rpm -qa --last | head -n 25

And post them in CODE tags ( # in the toolbar here in the forums )

Sorry I’ll be no help now. Wiped the ssd drive clean and installed new Netrunner rolling release based on arch linux. Wish I hadn’t but decided it was
worth it to give this new release distro a try. OpenSuse was doing so well till my dash and app menu got messed up. Looking so good til this morning. . . . thanks for your response to help me otherwise. My understanding has been a lot of people with this Intel chipset for video have had this very same issue. (I had problems in Ubuntu-gnome and Fedora 20 also… . .(same issue). . . but til now though OpenSuse had a work around. . . guess not . . . because something has tripped up the video once again. ). We’ll see how Netrunner goes (i.e. KDE has never had any issues like this. . . always Gnome desktop). . . Thanks once again.

Richard

On 2014-09-29 02:16, rcec1952 wrote:
>
> Sorry I’ll be no help now. Wiped the ssd drive clean and installed new
> Netrunner rolling release based on arch linux. Wish I hadn’t but decided
> it was
> worth it to give this new release distro a try. OpenSuse was doing so
> well till my dash and app menu got messed up. Looking so good til this
> morning. . . . thanks for your response to help me otherwise.

That’s unfortunate, because the goal of this forum is helping others.
Saying that you have a problem then not waiting for the response leaves
us… well, somewhat miffled.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)