GPU access running Plex in docker (Aeon)

Hi.

I’m trying to get transcoding working in Plex on Docker running on Aeon. The problem is that hardware transcoding doesn’t work despite the iGPU being selected and available in the Plex dashboard. If I try to transcode a video, it defaults to software rather than hardware.

This is on a tiny PC running an Intel 12th gen N95 CPU. I’ve googled the issue and haven’t found a solution. Has anyone got an idea? Maybe this is an SELinux issue?

@sunscape by default the N95 series doesn’t enable guc/huc so you need to add options for this… either edit /etc/default/grub and add i915.enable_guc=3 to the kernel options and then run transactional-update grub.cfg or create a /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf file and in there add options i915 enable_guc=3 then rebuild initrd with transactional-update initrd and reboot…

After the system is back up, in the output from journalctl -b | grep -E "huc|guc" should see something like;

journalctl -b | grep -E "huc|guc"
kernel: Setting dangerous option enable_guc - tainting kernel
kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GT0: GuC firmware i915/ehl_guc_70.1.1.bin version 70.1.1
kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GT0: HuC firmware i915/ehl_huc_9.0.0.bin version 9.0.0

It also taints the kernel… I also have N100 hardware, this enables by default…

Hello.

I just enabled them, but I think there is another issue. Are you using docker or podman for a similar use case?

@sunscape no I don’t perhaps describe your issue some more.

I use MicroOS (not Aeon) with k3s, I would need to investigate plex…

Well, trying to transcode still falls back to software. I don’t know how to describe it more because there is just the docker-compose file and there is nothing special in it.

I can’t recall exactly, because I’ve never setup plex through docker directly, but I think you have to basically assign the GPU device to the container. (This is a very very loose understanding of how this works, and the setup I use manages docker through k3s, so I don’t know if it’s exactly the same)

I think it’s similar. Well, like I mentioned, plex does see the iGPU. It just doesn’t work after that.
Screenshot from 2024-03-30 23-56-44

@sunscape https://www.plexopedia.com/plex-media-server/general/plex-hardware-transcoding/ should give some pointers…

Sadly, it turns out that this was another codec issue… :expressionless:

Transcoding worked for a select group of older files without issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.