gpart parted program GUI?

Hi, I am very new to suse and I would like to use the gui version of gparted but cannot seem to figure out how to do that … I have found terminal versions but would like the gui. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks, Neil

best to run gparted from a livecd ( unless that’s what you are trying to do ) startx normally works for the livecd

Andy

best to run gparted from a livecd

This is exactly how I did it. Everything worked out well. (I did a lot of googling before I actually did
anything)…:slight_smile:

However if you need to run it from within openSUSE, it’s not installed by default. You can install it from the Packman repo which you will have hooked up in your Yast –> Software –> Community Repos

Then it should be an icon in your menu of applications and you can also activate it with the KDE console command

kdesu /usr/sbin/gparted

OR the Gnome version is

gnomesu /usr/sbin/gparted

But you cannot operate on a mounted partition (if you want to keep it undamaged).

Thank you all for your help. I downloaded the packman repository and installed gparted to disk.
Neil

One more question though…I got this from trying to initialize in terminal because it wasn’t starting from the main gnome menu
linux:/home/neil # /usr/sbin/gparted

(gpartedbin:6414): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
linux:/home/neil #
Is there a dependency missing…?
Neil

Well, I installed disk manager which appears to be the gui built on top of gparted…at least it works and looks similiar to the gparted I know. If anyone can clarify this for me, I would appreciate it just understanding what is actually working and not. Thanks again, Neil