Google chrome installation problem on a 32bit

Hi,

I am having trouble to install the google chrome beta version. when i try to install it, i get this error.

a problem occurred, report the problem to the bugtracker. I

[PK_TMP_DIR|dir:///var/tmp/TmpDir.47IQKU] Repository already exists.

Some poeple are able to install it, i was wondering if i was doing something wrong. Any assistance is appreciated

Cheers,

Under YAST - Software Repositories, what do you have listed there? Does anything look out of place?

Are you downloading the .rpm then in a su terminal doing:

rpm -ihv google-chrome-beta_current_i386.rpm

i have installed it with:
zypper install google-chrome-beta_current_i386.rpm

some additional packages were installed automatically. Then in order to have working flash player(as it is was described somewhere in the froum):

cd /opt/google/chrome/
ln -s /usr/lib/browser-plugins/ plugins

everything is working OK

Finally, it works. I used the zypper install and went on to install the remaining google package in yast through the console.

When i used RPM it did not work.

Linux-HP\EMEA:/home/lowcase/Download # rpm -ihv google-chrome-beta_current_i386.rpm
warning: google-chrome-beta_current_i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 7fac5991
error: Failed dependencies:
lsb >= 3.2 is needed by google-chrome-beta-4.0.249.30-33928.i386

Thanks for the help.

The next step would have been
*zypper in lsb
yes

rpm -ihv google-chrome-beta_current_i386.rpm
ln -s /usr/lib/browser-plugins /opt/google/chrome/plugins

At next start of software management accept the key to import the repo

Anyway - Good you have it working

Linux 2.6.25.20-0.5-pae i686 openSUSE 11.0 (i586) KDE 3.5.9 “release 49.2”

I am also having a problem installing Google Chrome Browser.
My 1st attempt, I got the ‘lsb’ dependancy error and I upgraded lsb to the required 3.2.41 from 3.1… that was on my machine.

My next attempt was to install thru terminal using rpm command
[rpm -ihv google-chrome-beta_current_i386.rpm] as su
I did not get any further msgs and found the Chrome Browser in Applications>Internet. However when I clicked on it, all I got was the bouncy chrome cursor, a flash of a blue window and then nothing.

I then uninstalled google chrome browser thru Yast, deleted the google repository and tried to use the zypper way [as in this post]:

*[zypper install google-chrome-beta_current_i386.rpm[/i]
with the following after
cd /opt/google/chrome/
ln -s /usr/lib/browser-plugins/ plugins]

but still I only get: bouncy chrome cursor, a flash of a blue window and then nothing.

Anyone have any ideas why this might be? What might I do do get this working?*

Start it from a terminal so that you can see any error messages:

google-chrome

ty
this is what I get when starting from terminal:

labud@linux-zmuf:~> google-chrome
/opt/google/chrome/chrome --channel=11103.a30eb00.525813072 --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=AsyncSlowStart/_AsyncSlowStart_off/DnsImpact/_max_250ms_queue_prefetch/GlobalSdch/_global_disable_sdch/SocketLateBinding/_enable_late_binding/: symbol lookup error: /opt/google/chrome/chrome --channel=11103.a30eb00.525813072 --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=AsyncSlowStart/_AsyncSlowStart_off/DnsImpact/_max_250ms_queue_prefetch/GlobalSdch/_global_disable_sdch/SocketLateBinding/_enable_late_binding/: undefined symbol: cairo_format_stride_for_width
/usr/bin/google-chrome: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/google-chrome: undefined symbol: cairo_format_stride_for_width
labud@linux-zmuf:~>

I did some googling and it was suggested to:

“update your cairo lib to 1.6.4”

The version I have on my opensuse 11.0 is 1.4.14-32.1
When I check in the versions tab it only shows 1.4.14-32.1
Do I need some other repo in order to update this to cairo 1.6.4

OR

I can downloaded version 1.6.4 from cairo’s website and I can compile it but I don’t know if I should uninstall ver 1.4.14 first or will 1.6.4 overwrite 1.4.14?

OR

Do I need to be doing something else?

I was also facing the same problem.

It got resolved while installing cairo-1.6.4-2.1.i586.rpm.

You can search this package in http://software.opensuse.org/search/search

Hope it helps …

thanks for reply vjohari

I did get chrome working but only after I upgraded OS from 11.0 to 11.1. [which was in the plans anyways]
It installed without a hitch in opensuse 11.1, so I am going to guess that it did not like opensuse 11.0 because of the older version of cairo [1.41] that it uses.
I believe that if I had installed the newer version of cairo on opensuse 11.0, it would have been ok tho’.