gnome-shell consuming 50% of resources

gnome-shell consuming 50% of resources. It doesn’t start-out like this; but it just gradually increases resource consumption until it reaches this state.

You’ll have to be more descriptive.

If the console is open without any activity, it shouldn’t consume more resources.
It may depend on what kind of command you’re running, is it long running? What does it do?

I don’t use Gnome (and obviously gnome-shell) but on general principles, a memory leak (aka not returning resources when the task is finished) can only happen after something is run, and then you need to determine if it’s really gnome-shell or the function that was run in gnome-shell which could be the issue. From this, it should be pretty obvious to determine where the problem might be in general, you should be using something like top to monitor and inspect and testing whether the memory problem changes by executing a process that can run in the background, then close that console, perhaps opening again later and possibly inspecting the running process (by Pid?).

HTH,
TSU

Try ALT F2 and then type “r” and see if it helps, it will restart GNOME shell.

My impression is that GNOME shell is more heavy on the resources than KDE, I ran it on different machines with same results, eventhough it was mainly Intel hardware.

Bo

Not seen that with my Intel MacBook (3,1), this Desktop (HP AMD CPU, Nvidia GPU), HP ProBook 455 G1 (AMD APU) and have it on a Toshiba C655 which is Intel CPU/GPU currently (Other Probooks and HP models I’ve run it on as well.). When tracker does do it’s initial run it can be intensive, but I’ve never noticed it.

@OP, just turn it off via system settings -> search and indexing.

Confirming that. On my slower test laptop (dual core @ 1.8 GHz) gnome-shell reaches 25-30% only briefly when repeatedly switching workspace or the like, staying normally below 1%.
If it stays at 50% (that is, one core at 100% with a dual core, if I recall correctly from another post of the OP) I guess something went wrong with the install or some HW was not properly configured.
Or, as** tsu2** suggests, some application (or maybe a bad or outdated shell-extension?) is misbehaving or has a memory leak eventually crippling gnome-shell.

OTOH, Firefox, Tracker, Flash-plugin, video players or Xorg can easily reach and stay at 50% on a slow dual-core, but in my experience that is pretty independent of the Desktop Environment in use…