Gnome on Open SUSE 12.1

Dear all!

I’ve just installed GNOME-3 on my SUSE and feel very uncomfortable with it after 5 years experienced with MATE. Please provide me how I could
1)Install MATE for my SUSE. I’ve tried to do it via YaST by faced with the problems due to dependencies.
2)Customize my GROME-3 to GNOME-2 like view. I’ve tried to do it installing tweak-tools but there were problems during its launching from terminal (see below)

gleb@gpu2:~/Simulations/loops/OR2W1/gb8> gnome-tweak-tool
WARNING : Error getting shell mode via Eval JS
INFO    : Schema missing summary org.gnome.shell.gschema.xml (key saved-im-presence)
INFO    : Schema missing summary org.gnome.shell.gschema.xml (key saved-session-presence)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gnome-tweak-tool", line 84, in <module>
    from gtweak.app import GnomeTweakTool
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/app.py", line 25, in <module>
    from gtweak.tweakview import Window
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/tweakview.py", line 26, in <module>
    from gtweak.widgets import Title
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtweak/widgets.py", line 207, in <module>
    class ListBoxTweakGroup(Gtk.ListBox, TweakGroup):
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gi/module.py", line 243, in __getattr__
    return getattr(self._introspection_module, name)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gi/module.py", line 105, in __getattr__
    self.__name__, name))
AttributeError: 'gi.repository.Gtk' object has no attribute 'ListBox'

I’ll be thankful for any suggestions,

James

Hi,

I hope you mean openSUSE 13.1 because 12.1 has been discontinued years ago.

However, installing MATE on openSUSE should be as easy as pointing your browser to: http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:MATE/Install then clicking on “MATE Desktop Environment” (little Gecko head under Version 13.1 with the Green Play Arrow) and choosing to open it in YAST 1-Click Installer (take the MATE Desktop Environment and not the Core if you want “all normal applications” installed)

What dependency issues did you run into?

Woops, you need to install all 3. My bad :slight_smile:

oh thanks!
I think the problem is with the my out-of-dated 12.1 SUSE which I use on my work desktop. I’ve noticed that mate is also available for 12.3 SUSE. Will it be possible to update my SUSE from 12.1 to 12.3 just using YaST? The problem that this is my work desktop and some users also share it with me althought I have root as well.

Best,

James

Since we are talking about 12.x series, I would advice grabbing the 13.1 DVD and upgrading with that - of course take full backups of everything.

Unfortunately 12.1 is too old and is no longer supported at all, no software for it is available any more.

Thanks alot!

It’s intresting that I’ve found MATE from the 12.1 repo using YaST but have not completelly installed it because of those dependency problems with some mate modules. OK, I think upgrade will be the best sollution! So now I should just burn Mate 13.xx DVD and using it manually upgrade my 12.1 suse, shouldn’t it? Could you suggest me with some step-by-step manual of this?

James

one another question:

could someone provide me with some GNOME-3 guide, in particular I’d like to change view of GNOME-3 to the GNOME-2-like view (make the same start menu, possibility to add shortcuts on desctop etc)

Thanks!